In my unceasing attempt to conserve the earths dwindling oil reserves, I thought I would once again try to trace the annoying drip from under the tranfer box. The front output seal has been replaced three times and is perfectly dry. The source seems to be the filler/level plug on the side of the gearbox and although it has been tightened as much as I dare, it is stil wet around it after a journey of reasonable length. The oil, which is clean, is running down the side of the gearbox and with the flow of air it ends up dripping off the bottom of the transfer case.

Is there a gearbox breather that could be blocked? I have checked the transfer box breather and this seems OK and I am at a loss as to why this should be happening.

Ged

In my unceasing attempt to conserve the earths dwindling oil reserves, I thought I would once again try to trace the annoying drip from under the tranfer box. The front output seal has been replaced three times and is perfectly dry. The source seems to be the filler/level plug on the side of the gearbox and although it has been tightened as much as I dare, it is stil wet around it after a journey of reasonable length. The oil, which is clean, is running down the side of the gearbox and with the flow of air it ends up dripping off the bottom of the transfer case.

Is there a gearbox breather that could be blocked? I have checked the transfer box breather and this seems OK and I am at a loss as to why this should be happening.

Ged

The breather is attached near the high low selector on top, it may exit in the engine bay depending on model. Crawl underneath with a torch and you will find it. I suggest disconnecting from the transfer and blowing through with an air line.

The fill hole should be a tapered thread to seal it - try ptfe tape round the plug.

Transfers can leak from the input seal where the gearbox mainshaft enters, it will run down the "front" face and drip of the bottom square cover. leaks from the intermediate shaft o rings cause drips in the same place. Both can be cured by moving the transfer box on long studs to gain access - see tech archive. Is the rear/handbrake end seal ok?

Thanks. Yes the brake is oil free. I have had the t/box out already about 6 months ago on the long studs as described and resealed it just in case. The oil is very clean which leads me to suspect its the main gearbox - my t/box oil is always black. I thought that the breather you describe was for the t/box not the g/box/?

Thanks. Yes the brake is oil free. I have had the t/box out already about 6 months ago on the long studs as described and resealed it just in case. The oil is very clean which leads me to suspect its the main gearbox - my t/box oil is always black. I thought that the breather you describe was for the t/box not the g/box/?

If oil is golden/brown its transfer, main box oil should be red. Transfer oil does tend to get dirty where as main box oil should always come out clean. Also transfer oil smells different to main box oil. Sulphur smell vs sort of fishy smell.... :blink:

The most common source of leaks from the transfer box is the intermediate shaft o-rings. You need to disassemble the box and take out the intermediate shaft, change the o rings, reassemble with a new crush spacer and tighten the shaft as per the manual or something like it. The o rings are FRC7459 and FRC8292. The collapsible spacer is FRC7437. The bits are cheap, but the job is expensive at a garage as the xfer box has to come out.

Thanks for all the advice. I really am sure that it is not transfer box as there is consistently oil seepage around the filler/level plug on the side of the LT77 gearbox which is runnig down the side of the box and then being blown back onto the transfer box. I'll have a go at locating the g/box breather and see if that resolves the problem.