Toy Land Criuser axles

Lewis

It probably depends on market I think. I'm pretty sure the Prados sold here (ex Japanese ones mostly around 1997 age) don't have any lockers in though I don't know if they were LJ70s or not. Since they aren't allowed to drive off road in Japan I think most of the manufacturers found that fitting locking diffs was a bit of a waste and it was better for sales to put a massive "Super Off Roader 4x4" sticker in the rear window :) certainly the Jap market Mitsubishis don't have the rear axle locking diff that is found in the "real" ones that were sold here at about the same time.

It probably depends on market I think. I'm pretty sure the Prados sold here (ex Japanese ones mostly around 1997 age) don't have any lockers in though I don't know if they were LJ70s or not. Since they aren't allowed to drive off road in Japan I think most of the manufacturers found that fitting locking diffs was a bit of a waste and it was better for sales to put a massive "Super Off Roader 4x4" sticker in the rear window :) certainly the Jap market Mitsubishis don't have the rear axle locking diff that is found in the "real" ones that were sold here at about the same time.

for standard electric lockers in you want an 80 series. 70's may have lsd at the back. v6 4runners/surfs might have electric lockers, although i couldn't be sure.

I agree that it depends on the market the vehicle was sold in. The FJ 60 axles I am putting in my SIIa had the option of a locker in the rear, no option for the front, and none standard; in the US market. The FJ70 that replaced the 60 over here had elocker stock in the rear, optional elocker front, or optional locker (mech) in the rear.

I bought axles from a 1993 UK market intended HDJ80, both axles have electric lockers in tem.

LJ70 has an option for LSD but not locker in the UK and because they are intended to be selectable between 2 and 4 wheel drive they have free wheeling hubs more often than not.

Keep looking for an 80 series, front and rear lockers, discs all round.

This only represents my opinion.

The prado is a bit of a soft off roader anyway so i am pretty sure they don't have lockers even in Aus as standard'

Oddly enough the general opinion here is that they are better than Discoverys off road... :unsure:

At least some (maybe all) of the 90's vintage Jap market Prados sold here have LSD's in the back axle because I imported some LSD oil for some customers a while ago, you can't use EP90 in them or it screws them up apparently.

OKay, thanks guys :)

Was only asking because of this auction

the actuators for the lockers are quite chunky things bolted to the outside of the axle, on top i think (sorry dont have any pics). may help you when looking to see if they have the lockers or not. be careful of jap import 80's, not all of them had lockers, whereas most uk ones will have them

Oddly enough the general opinion here is that they are better than Discoverys off road... :unsure:

With respect, If you are talking about showroom stock vehicles, that isn't saying much. Every time the LandRover Club has a trials day on the rather tamed down offroad course at my property I wonder how Disco's got the reputation in our press of being a serious offroader.

Bill.

With respect, If you are talking about showroom stock vehicles, that isn't saying much. Every time the LandRover Club has a trials day on the rather tamed down offroad course at my property I wonder how Disco's got the reputation in our press of being a serious offroader.

Bill.

Bill

I have been to a few of these and been to a few Land Rover clubs in Brisbane. And they seem to think they are doing really extreme stuff , but as you say what they are doing is tame and some time scary (and not in extreme but dangerous driving Technics).

But alot of the time the car can do alot more than the driver can , and the driver makes the car look carp.

And Bill did you get the vid on Aus 4x4 monthly where they draged a Prado round Tassie :D:D

No Ali, I didn,t know 4WD Monthly had started including vids with their Mag again. Is it with the current issue?

Bill.

Nah it was a couple of months ago now. And yeah they have started to include vids with the mags again

Ali