What trailer do you tow?

gavin.

Evening ladies and gentlemen!

I am looking out my window at the whopping pile of garden waste sitting on my lawn that requires lifting and shifting to the local skip and I was wondering if anyone on here has made their own trailer and if so what did it cost and what did you get as an end product.

All the ones on ebay look a bit small or shabby; sankeys are hard to get down this end of the country (plus I already have a tow pack and could do without getting a NATO hitch) - anyone have any suggestions?

Gav

Guest diesel_jim

I've got a wide track sankey which i've jjst finished overhauling.

at work i've got a choice of 3 tow-a-van box trailers.... ideal for the tip run! (or for using as a stall at shows like old sodbury... when the heavens open it's amazing how many "friends" you suddenly have... sheltering... :lol:

I've got a wide track sankey which i've jjst finished overhauling.

at work i've got a choice of 3 tow-a-van box trailers.... ideal for the tip run! (or for using as a stall at shows like old sodbury... when the heavens open it's amazing how many "friends" you suddenly have... sheltering... :lol:

HI ALL

I picked up a sankey from sodbry 2 year ago cost 80 sqwid

TWIZZLE

I didn't build it myself but I have a trailer built on a cut-down caravan chassis. It has an 8'x4' load made from angle-iron and lined/walled with 10mm WBP plywood, a drop-down tailgate with a built in ramp for my motorcycle (which works perfectly well for wheelbarrows) and overrun brakes.

It looks like this:

Trailer.jpg

It is the same width as the RRC and it tows BEAUTIFULLY! I can't even tell it is there unless I look in the mirror :) No bouncing or crashing around, just smooth and controlled.

If you are going to make one yourself this could be a good way to go...

TwoSheds

It is the same width as the RRC and it tows BEAUTIFULLY! I can't even tell it is there unless I look in the mirror :) No bouncing or crashing around, just smooth and controlled.

If you are going to make one yourself this could be a good way to go...

TwoSheds

Does that have any suspension? It seems there are three ways of going:

• Leaf - a la Sankey
  • Torsion Bar - a la most trailer on the planet
  • Fixed - a la, well, I don't know!

• 2 weeks later...
HI ALL

I picked up a sankey from sodbry 2 year ago cost 80 sqwid

TWIZZLE

Coo thats expensive Dad bought one for a fiver from the clearout sales here in the 1980s

Mind you he bought two portakabins for £50 each too...

My Sankey costs £250 a few years ago which grieved me enormously :(

• Leaf - a la Sankey

Some trailers use coilovers, for example the bigger RIBA boattrailers. Very smooth ride and good stability even with a 3m high boat on it.

The springs and dampers do take up a lot of space though.

none now, I sold it.

It was a sankey wide track, bought on fleabay for £150, sold 18 month later for £145 after about 40 trips to the tip and various camping trips.

They sell easily and no-ones that bothered if theres a hole or two!

You can make own if you wish but it'll probably cost more.

• Leaf - a la Sankey

Sorry - I didn't see this question until now...

Unfortunately I can't get a picture right now, but it has trailing arms (a bit like a Ford Sierra) with enclosed spring/damper units.

I guess that for some people it would be a bit lacking in clearance, but the lower CoG and easier loading more than make up for that in my case.

TwoSheds