Greasing prop shaft

hi all

new to all this so learning as i go. tried to grease propshaft tonight. got neew grease gun with flexabile tube attachment, filled with grease. test grease pumps out. so all ok. climed under car and applied gun nozile to nipple and started pumping. grease just kept coming out where nozile meets nipple. dose this mean i have a blockage (i tried it on all nipples and got the same) or is my nozile to big for the nipple

ps. how many nipples should i have on each propshaft i counted 3 one at each UJ and on on the sleave. is this correct?

thanks

p

grease just kept coming out where nozile meets nipple.

I always have the same problem, a bit hit and miss as to whether it stays on properly or not.

I usually just end up holding the nozzle in position and pumping the gun with my elbow, bagpipe style :D

I had roughly same problem - always on the nipple nearest handbrake drum, turns out its to do with the size of the yokes on u/k

I bought a conical adapter from local motor factor since i was on holiday and had time to go shopping but Snap On do a suitable part on their web site, its a needle point extension for grease gun, my local garage has one and its perfect

i have the Coupler, Grease-Fitting at the end of my flexi tube. can i get tighter fittings than this.

Dave is your conical adapter like the Nozzle Needle on the snapon website. how dose this work. do you insert the needle in side the nipple then pump the grease?

Yep 3 per shaft, the adaptor must be dead square to the nipple to work correctly

i take it western i grease all three on each shaft. i know the two at each end do the uj's but what dose the one on the sleave of the shaft do??

Have you got the narrow yoke propshafts fittted ??

My grease gun nipple doesn't fit on the grease nipple unless the Defender is on a two pole lift with the axles dropped.

So !! I bought some extended grease nipples from Difflock. Some Allen screws to fit the u/j. Now each service I remove the Allen screw, fit the long grease nipple..... Bob's your uncle and you have a aunt Fanny

mike

dose this mean i have a blockage

Quite possibly. In addition to the advice above about ensuring the nozzle is properly on the nipple it is worth checking the ball in the nipple is free to move. I usually give the ball a poke with a fine screwdriver just to make sure it moves before putting the gun on.

Have you got the narrow yoke propshafts fittted ??

My grease gun nipple doesn't fit on the grease nipple unless the Defender is on a two pole lift with the axles dropped.

So !! I bought some extended grease nipples from Difflock. Some Allen screws to fit the u/j. Now each service I remove the Allen screw, fit the long grease nipple..... Bob's your uncle and you have a aunt Fanny

mike

not sure what type of propshaft is fitted, how do you tell. but my grease gun nipple dose go over the propshaft nipples. if anything the grease gun nipple is to big so when i pump the gun the grease comes out from between the to nipples. the gun came with a solid tube with the nipple on the end, but i bought a flexi tube with nipple on the end thinking it would aid access. if it is a case that grease gun nipples has to be flat on the nipple the sold tuube may facilitate this better.

so you only attach these extra long nipples for service and when done just put in an alen screw?

Quite possibly. In addition to the advice above about ensuring the nozzle is properly on the nipple it is worth checking the ball in the nipple is free to move. I usually give the ball a poke with a fine screwdriver just to make sure it moves before putting the gun on.
yes i was thinking that. i didnt poke inside the nipples but it looked like it was full of hard crud type stuff. so you say it may be just a case of clearing the nipple?

The conical adaptor i bought is quite small and the idea is the very fine point of it pokes inside the nipple onto the bearing - same principle as the one on snap on site. I use it with the metal tube on grease gun so i can push it on easily without the flexy tube bending all over the place. The nipple that is most difficult to reach is one nearest the handbrake drum but adaptor works ok there.

It's a very old system is the long grease nipple. At least 35 years old.......

Yes. Remove short grease nipple. Fit long grease nipple. Grease. Clean off excess grease. Remove long grease nipple. Fit Allen screw.

Do you wipe the grease nipple clean before you fit the gun nipple ??. Grease nipples also get knocked and damaged. Make sure the grease nipple is all there and no lumps on it.

mike

It's a very old system is the long grease nipple. At least 35 years old.......

Yes. Remove short grease nipple. Fit long grease nipple. Grease. Clean off excess grease. Remove long grease nipple. Fit Allen screw.

Do you wipe the grease nipple clean before you fit the gun nipple ??. Grease nipples also get knocked and damaged. Make sure the grease nipple is all there and no lumps on it.

mike

yes gave it a wipe, and it looked all there. but it did look bunged up in side. i thought the preassure of pumping the grease would shift the bung up stuff. but not the case so will try pushing in the ball to clear the nipple.

The conical adaptor i bought is quite small and the idea is the very fine point of it pokes inside the nipple onto the bearing - same principle as the one on snap on site. I use it with the metal tube on grease gun so i can push it on easily without the flexy tube bending all over the place. The nipple that is most difficult to reach is one nearest the handbrake drum but adaptor works ok there.

have a few thing i will try first. if no joy with them i think i will invest in some long nipples and maybe a needle nozile

i take it western i grease all three on each shaft. i know the two at each end do the uj's but what dose the one on the sleave of the shaft do??

Yes, 4 pump of the grease gun in each nipple is plenty otherwise you risk pushing the dirt seal off, the shaft nipple is to grease the sliding section 4 pumps here too is plenty.

guys,

discovered why i was having the problem. it turns out the rubber fitting and its collor inside the flex tube that gose onto the nipple was round the wrong way. i reversed this put the nozzile back together AND THE GREASE DID FLOW....

result

Does anybody know the thread for the grease nipple on the sliding joint? My Disco seems to have had the nipple replaced with a bolt (less useful for greasing...) so I want to fit a nipple...

Any clues?

ta

Mark