London to Brighton LR run

TJ101

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the SLSLRC guys for a great weekend. The promised sun even shined all day :D

Thanks also for the early morning wake-up music. Some of the guys think you should have played it all the way through though :rolleyes:

Just got back with the other Shire guys & gals.

Also just back in, excellent weekend, but the music at 5-45 !! :o good job i was up then :blink:

Glad i was part of one of the clubs, so got away early, and in Brighton by 10 for breakfast !! :D

Found ibexman,s 110, but must have missed you, nobody about ? Missed Petergg as well, funny feeling his the one telling the commentator that his vehicle was the unmodifed one :lol:

Ever the salesman, Chris W even manged to sell me some quikfists from Si's X-Eng stand, less forum discount :lol: just have to sort a job for them ??? :unsure:

Also just back in, excellent weekend, but the music at 5-45 !! :o good job i was up then :blink:

Glad i was part of one of the clubs, so got away early, and in Brighton by 10 for breakfast !! :D

Found ibexman,s 110, but must have missed you, nobody about ? Missed Petergg as well, funny feeling his the one telling the commentator that his vehicle was the unmodifed one :lol:

Ever the salesman, Chris W even manged to sell me some quikfists from Si's X-Eng stand, less forum discount :lol: just have to sort a job for them ??? :unsure:

X-eng had a great time. We met loads of people, Si joined the Shire club as he likes them so much. He says it was nice to meet Rachel, Mike's missus. Chris W is staying chez X-eng tonight and has enjoyed an evening at the local with Si

Sarah R

Tim,

Sorry I missed you I did take a look around the G4 stand but you were AWOL, it was me who told the commentator that my Defender was std :D I like his last comment as I drove away " that ain't standard" it was if he had some doubt about it.

Peter

I f***ing hate London :angry:

But it was a bluddy good weekend - big thanks to the SLSLRC.

As some of you may have spotted, I had a couple of little issues over the weekend;

One the way in, the alternator belt decided to stop gripping <_< , plus something (airlock?) caused the engine to overheat in traffic. The upshot of that is that my spare alt belt was a smidgen too short :unsure: so required some faffing about to fit, the alt pulley was removed during one attempt but it seems the nut wasn't fully re-tightened later :( . The overheat apparently caused the stat to fail shut, so even after a load of roadside first aid it overheated again about a mile from crystal palace and I had the joyous fortune of being towed into the campsite :ph34r: oh how great to be towed past about 200 other LR owners :(

The slipping alt belt had flattened the battery so DiscoRyan had to jump-start me - big thanks to Ryan who has been a source of tools and supplies all weekend (myself having left most of my gear at home for this "easy jaunt up the motorway" :rolleyes: )

Anyway - into camp, remove stat, snip the centre out and refit, refill with water, all is good. Alt making a bit of a noise but we thought at the time this was the bearings due to wading at 7S and the new tighter belt...

The drive to Brighton was smooth, with the alt making ever more horrible noises - but it made it there and my folks who were coming along brought a spare one down. Popped the bonnet to find the alt pulley hanging off :o no sign of keyway or nut so got to change the whole unit. The spare is a Bosch one and the case is cast differently, meaning the short belt has no chance of lining up :angry: so I have to use a hacksaw blade to chop a bit out of the casing, not to mention enlarge the hole in the terminal connector to make the cable fit :rolleyes:

Still, all done in the end and it worked fine all the way home. I am, however, gutted that I spent all that time spannering over the weekend and didn't get the duck tape and string prize :o did anyone see what won it? Must've been good :lol:

Again big thanks to SLSLRC for putting on a great event, and big thanks to the ShireLRC crew for helping me out, even if they did take the p*** non-stop (I expect nothing else from them by now :lol: ).

Hi Tim i was looking for the 110 but u were probably in RRS G4 Sorry i missed you regards chris