New tyres from Silverline

Holyzeus

Would like to fit tyres similar to the ones referred to in this thread to my 110 Defender Td5 Year 2000 but am concerned they will catch wheel arches & affect steering etc. Please can anyone advise what wheel/tyre combinations are suitable for my vehicle without needing modifications to the vehicle. Please also advise any affect on speedometer and solution?

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Assuming it's standard height you could fit the 33" tyres with some mild trimming of the plastic arch. The 12.5 width will restrict your steering especially if you have LR alloys, but fitting some wheels that have a better off-set will help this and give you an ok (for a 110 ;) ) turning circle. Modular steel are available with a good off-set and the new ZU alloys have too.

For the speedo, you can change the gears that feed the transponder.

Cheers

Steve

Mine will be going on a set of 8x15 silver 8 spokes I already have. Steering lock with 12.50s on these rims is about the same as 265s on alloys i.e. it rubs a little bit on the radius arms but bearable. But there are not an awful lot of trees to run in to round these parts so steering lock is not really the main concern :)

Assuming it's standard height you could fit the 33" tyres with some mild trimming of the plastic arch. The 12.5 width will restrict your steering especially if you have LR alloys, but fitting some wheels that have a better off-set will help this and give you an ok (for a 110 ;) ) turning circle. Modular steel are available with a good off-set and the new ZU alloys have too.

Thanks for replies.

Vehicle is standard height. Standard 110 Defender HT Td5.

Offset is something I do not fully understand. If I ask for a quotation for a set of wheels from a supplier what offset should I ask for? Also if ordering new wheels what would be the ideal size wheel for a 15x33x10.5 or a 15x33x12.5? For road use I understand the wheels should not protrude from the arches. Will the 12.5 cause problems in this respect.

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Strictly speaking you should use a rim at least 8.5" wide for most of the 33x12.50R15 but here almost everybody uses 8x15 rims with no bother. With a "standard" set of 8 spokes (not sure what the actual offset is but most are about the same) a 12.50 will stick out past the arch by about 10mm or thereabouts. With the "proper" 10x15 rims they will stick out a mile and you will spend more time cleaning your vehicle than driving it so not recommended :) also the wheelarch clearance is much more of a problem with 10x15 rims. If you have a 33x10.50R15 tyre (odd size - most are 31" tall) then 7x15 or 8x15 rim is fine.

Thanks Bogmonster - All Noted.

Vehicle is currently fitted with Defender 110 Freestyle Alloys Tyres from memory are BFG 235/85x16 anyway as fitted by Land Rover when vehicle was new. One option would be for me to keep the existing 16 inch alloys and fit some serious tyres. I should make it clear what I am trying to achieve is to enable the vehicle to tow a boat on a beach - soft sand. Any recommendations ref suitable tyres for this purpose on my 16 inch rims without having to make modifications to the vehicle etc.

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Thanks Bogmonster - All Noted.

Vehicle is currently fitted with Defender 110 Freestyle Alloys Tyres from memory are BFG 235/85x16 anyway as fitted by Land Rover when vehicle was new. One option would be for me to keep the existing 16 inch alloys and fit some serious tyres. I should make it clear what I am trying to achieve is to enable the vehicle to tow a boat on a beach - soft sand. Any recommendations ref suitable tyres for this purpose on my 16 inch rims without having to make modifications to the vehicle etc.

Thanks

MINESAPINT

Keep the alloys and fit some 265/75-16 BFG MT's, any me aggressive and on the beach youll dig down rather than drive forward!

235, 265 etc is a metric width in mm

the 65, 75, 85 is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width

the 15, 16 is the rim size in inches!

So 265/75-R16 is 265mm wide, with a sidewall of 198.75mm sidewall height (75& of width) that is of radial construction to fit a 16" rim :)

http://www.kouki.co.uk/Utilities/tyresizer.asp

Try that - very handy comparison site :)

That's a very useful tool... now where can I get my hands on some 145/50 MTs to fit my 26" Rims... can I have them with chrome spinners too :lol:

In all seriousness I suppose its down to the tyres you can get really. Doesn't the speedo have to be properly recalibrated if you change the tyre size?

That's a very useful tool... now where can I get my hands on some 145/50 MTs to fit my 26" Rims... can I have them with chrome spinners too :lol:

In all seriousness I suppose its down to the tyres you can get really. Doesn't the speedo have to be properly recalibrated if you change the tyre size?

Er, no it doesnt have to be recalibrated!

Had a play with he Tyre Size converter.

Sizes 235/85 16

265/75 16

285/70 16

305/65 16

All give overall tyre diameters of between 803mm and 806mm so do not anticipate problems with speedo/insurance company.

Problem is the imperial sizes are not included in the calculator but conversions indicate 31.5 inches is 800mm and 32 inches is 813mm.

Additionally I assume the imperial widths can be compared by conversion

10.5" = 267mm

11" = 280mm

11.5" = 292mm

12.5" = 317mm

Obviously none of this establishes which of these sizes will fit onto my 110 Freestyle rims or will/will not cause any problems under my wheel arches.

All advice welcome.

Thanks

MINESAPINT

If it's just for soft sand, then I would buy a cheapish air compressor like the Tmax Heavy Duty one and keep your existing 235's and air down to around 15psi when you go onto the sand. As has been said above aggressive MT's will not help you in soft sand.

In response to your question, anything over 32" will rubber on your plastic arches off road. Here's a std height 110 with 33.5" 255/85 16's to show you how much room you have/don't have..

general005Medium.jpg

LR Freestyle alloys, have awful offset so if you fit wider than 235's you will lose some of your turning circle and will likely have to adjust your steering stops so that they don't rub on your radius arms.

Cheers

Steve