Can you change a BW viscous unit insitu ?

ChrisV8

:angry: Well have at last got daughters RR past an MOT but, on driving it I have a sneeky suspicion that the viscous unit has seized with it's long lying in state. If I jack one wheel up handbrake off I cannot get the wheel to turn which seems from all knowledge to indicate goosed.

However I have got another unit which has a stretched chain and seemingly a good viscous, in principle it appears that you can remove the whole front output housing insitu complete with viscous. Is this correct or has the whole transfer got to come out ?

Anyone done it ? :(:(

Don't know about the change over, and not wanting to treach you to suck eggs, but how hard did you try to turn a wheel?

It isn't a case of gently trying to turn it, you will have to get a good hold with two hands :blink: and put a bit of effort in. If it doesn't turn with steady resistance then you would be correct in your diagnosis.

Apologies if you know all this already, but better said than you potentially wasting your time swapping it out. :rolleyes:

Yes you can - easy nuts and bolts job.

I'd also add that its alot stiffer than you think it is. On mine with the front prop removed, I put a socket and a 2ft bar on the nut on the front output and it took a fair amount of effort to get it to turn. Doing the one wheel jacked up thingy required a fair amount of effort with a long bar to get it to turn.

I'm told they're all like that, but dont honestly know any different.

Cheers

Jon

:angry: Cannot turn the wheel at all with a 2ft breaker bar on the nuts so all opinion is agreed it's goosed :(

Thanks for all the advice but I think I am in for a change, have sourced a replacement so looks like a busy weekend. The Ashcroft link gives all the detail so thanks for that.

The manual gives some detail on turning torque and I am way over that as you can't get it to move at all and it's scrubbing when you turn a corner, we have a nice 90 degree turn in our back lane which is a good test, on tarmac it's giving the cvs a good test as well as the tyres chirrup when going slow. Just having replaced all the innards of the axle I am not going to take any chances.

The manual gives some detail on turning torque and I am way over that as you can't get it to move at all and it's scrubbing when you turn a corner, we have a nice 90 degree turn in our back lane which is a good test, on tarmac it's giving the cvs a good test as well as the tyres chirrup when going slow.

That definitely sounds seized :(

What mileage has it done? They do seem to a have a finite life.

:angry: Not too sure of mileage as the engine and box got changed to a Disco tdi before we got it, it only has 109k on the clock, but I think it's only done about 50k on the engine. It has stood for a year though waiting for the pillock of a garage man to sort it before I went and brought it over here, I don't think that helped, but in it's previous life I think it towed quite a bit so may have cooked it with inappropriate use. The front axle innards were totally wrecked so I think it has been gone a while, just didn't check it earlier.

:rolleyes::lol: All done now :P:P It was extremely cooked and obviously the gel inside has set solid. all the bolts came undone easily just a pain working under the vehicle again. The new unit went back in easily and once I had found a replacement gearbox rubber mount, it was pretty plain sailing and now no chirrups or anything. Back to good RR silence.

Thanks for all the advice.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Went to look at another Rangie today as a possible project, guess what, seized transfer and yes it's a BW, this one has taken out the drive gear I thing as you get no drive from the gearbox, and the wheel cannot be turned so whole box to change. Need to think about this one ???