MegaSquirt/ Megajolt?

Corrode Finger

Has there been any comparisons carried out on the bhp/ torque benefits on stock motors?

People on the MS forum have done comparisons, possibly even dyno runs. All the feedback I've ever had is that things run better because you can set them up properly.

Both my trucks run better on MS than Lucas (I had Lucas on the 109 briefly with the 3.9).

Edit to add: MS Forum "are you happy?"

Because, unlike the manufacturer, you are not restrained by getting max mpg @ 56mph, and having a fuel map that is somewhat lean to ensure a good combined figure……………….you can certainly add in a conservative gain of 10 to 15 bhp. This is what the ‘superchip’ guys do because those numbers are a given ………. With small mods, i.e. cam and maybe heads, the output can be maximized as the tuning then becomes unique to the engine …………….. normally a very difficult task with an OEM installation, but a very simple task with MS and a wide band o2 sensor.

Just don’t mention fuel economy at the moment ……… :rolleyes:

:)

Ian

V8 Freak - the beauty is you can slip in the 4.6 later (or sooner) and just download someone else's fuel map :P

Oddball - do you mean "will MS mind if the idle is at 2000rpm" or do you mean the MS would need to control the idle speed to keep it at 2000? Both are OK, the MS doesn't care where the idle is, and you can use a stepper motor or PWM idle valve to run closed-loop idle control. Why do you need to set the idle that high anyway? :blink:

Hi Fridge..

I would like to have a facility with a switch so that when I am using my hydpump I do not need to be on the throtle with the foot but can do like in the old days with the hand throthe on the diesels, just set it at an apropiate rpm.

That is what I am looking for.

Regards

Ole.

How about a switch to ground one side of the 2 wire PWM idle valve? when mine's at 100% open engine run's at 1600rpm.

Or two of em in parallel for more air (use a Y-splitter either side in the pipe), one controlled by MS, the other controlled by dash switch.

I'm going to try rigging up a choke cable as a hand throttle. be careful though, it's not something you want to jam open.

I would like to have a facility with a switch so that when I am using my hydpump I do not need to be on the throtle with the foot but can do like in the old days with the hand throthe on the diesels, just set it at an apropiate rpm.

TomG's idea is good - it's simple and requires no software changes, to get the correct speed just restrict the flow of the idle valve you use. To avoid over-revving when the load is off you could connect the switch to the rev limit input of the MS and set a very low rev limit.

I don't think there's a switchable idle control in MS yet - wouldn't be hard to add it, but you'd need to do some programming or find someone on the MS forum who could do it.

red90 - Bill Shurvinton had some rather sexy (and cheap) TBI setups that bolt in place of a 4-barrel carb, here's one:

19_tb.jpg

They're about 700cfm if memory serves :blink:

Ooooh! interesting bit of kit that! seems to me the airflow path through the hotwire plenum, ram pipes, inlet manifold is quite restrictive. Am still not convinced I'm getting the same mid range power than when i had the Weber 500 (although i get more low end torque now). Anyone got any more info / dyno graphs on the TBI setup compared to the hotwire?

Not about to chuck the hotwire setup, just curious :lol:

• 5 years later...
or is Nige going into production
Make a sentence out of the following well chosen words

Me

F**k

Way

No

F*****g

Once properly arranged you'll have your answer [img=http://forums.lr4x4.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif]

Nige

Just stumbled upon this little quote and felt it needed bringing to the front.

How wrong you were Nige :lol:

Strange how things turn out!

:rofl: :rofl:

Started to read this thread thinking it was new, then saw the Vid of Fridge and meself having a gentle test out after fitting....

Then saw my "never F Ever" quote.....:rofl:

And I was sort iof definate then ....now thats done and so much more, and I have ideas buzzing in my mind that needs me to learn solidworks !

And learnt TIG steel, stainless and ali which I equally thought was never ever ....

:D

Made me laugh out loud MickeyW :lol:

Nige