Early Ninety halfshafts

Turbocharger

My brother's been on the phone with a 'complaint' about his 1986 Ninety - the halfshaft has slid out about 1" and poked the rubber cap off, losing drive to the wheel. Taking it apart there doesn't seem to be anything mechanical stopping this happening, there's no groove for a circlip or similar on the back of the star piece (driving member). How's it stay together?

My brother's been on the phone with a 'complaint' about his 1986 Ninety - the halfshaft has slid out about 1" and poked the rubber cap off, losing drive to the wheel. Taking it apart there doesn't seem to be anything mechanical stopping this happening, there's no groove for a circlip or similar on the back of the star piece (driving member). How's it stay together?

front or rear?

Not that I'm sure anything stops them floating outwards other than the cut of the splines starts to become shallow and cause the shaft to bind on the drive member.

Sounds rather like the end of a front stub shaft has broken off (hence the lack of drive) and started to work it way out through the drive member?

Nothing - save for a bit of Magic (Maybe you could help there? :) )

Well, there's a bit of MIG magic stopping them now... I'd always assumed there was a circlip on the inside too but evidently not. I'll send him down to the shops for a new halfshaft and see if it carries on happening.

Trev - it's the rear that's the problem so no other nastier problems lurking (I hope!)

John

If the question had not already been answered so ably and completely by so many highly skillled, experienced and respected members I would have suggested that the halfshaft, drive flange, hub or stub axle fitted was the wrong one for the car... I could still be right you know. :)

Chris

If the question had not already been answered so ably and completely by so many highly skillled, experienced and respected members I would have suggested that the halfshaft, drive flange, hub or stub axle fitted was the wrong one for the car... I could still be right you know. :)

Chris

I agree