Milemarker hydro winch longer drum

steve b

Thats very kind of you to say so John, yours is pretty fine too chap B)

Well tried the MM out today and as i feared there is far too much cable on it , I must have been only a couple of degrees off a straight pull and the cable bunched onto one side and jammed under the tie rods, but luckily didn't break the lugs. We did have to take the tie rods off to unspool it as it was well wedged. As for pulling power oo-eer it popped the trooper out of the gloop no trouble, after dragging my 2.5t + back a little until it settled against a rut so I'm well happy with it :D .

The deepdrum is definately on the cards as will be a longer drum too if i can get some shafts made , might even have to try some plasma at some point.

Also to finish it off it will need an overcentre valve as it does creep out underload but i was expecting that

Cheers

Steveb

That is beautifull. What engine?

I stuck with the PTO setup myself, being so simple and strong and also very controllable (fools behind the wheel permitting). I did go for an electric rr winch, which allows me to use it in the upside down position as well. A PTO winch front and rr has also been built on landrovers in the past.

I guess its down to personal preference.

daan

Hi Daan, I went hydro with the front because I wanted a rear hydraulic as well and also just because Ilike hydraulics. That said , it doesn't pull as well as the mech setup with the overload clutch wound up, but as I said above that would seem to be down to my choice of drive motor off the LR series hyd. winch..

Here are some pics of my 109 ..its a bit of a stealth hybrid though :D

cheers

Steveb

It's a std Disco 200TDi on LT77box :D , I'm very happy with the way it has gone so far, the 4 planet diff in the back axle was a good upgrade as in the 1st year of use it mashed 5 2planet diffs offroading . I have one to go in the front too , just need to get the shafts and cv's to go with it. thanks for the compliment Daan , I wanted to build something that has the classic IIA look but with RRC ride/seating quality and a nice modern Diesel eng .....it only took 3 yrs shed time :P to do

I'll try to find my build photo's and do a thread in members vehicles at some point

cheers

Steveb

It's a std Disco 200TDi on LT77box :D , I'm very happy with the way it has gone so far, the 4 planet diff in the back axle was a good upgrade as in the 1st year of use it mashed 5 2planet diffs offroading . I have one to go in the front too , just need to get the shafts and cv's to go with it. thanks for the compliment Daan , I wanted to build something that has the classic IIA look but with RRC ride/seating quality and a nice modern Diesel eng .....it only took 3 yrs shed time :P to do

I'll try to find my build photo's and do a thread in members vehicles at some point

cheers

Steveb

I would love to see them photos even though its taken me 14 years to get on with mine

like to see the set up of yours

:huh: TWIZZLE :huh:

:lol: Almost a classic rally although Dans cracked rear light let the side down :lol: That was bad luck for Dirtydiesel blowing the head gasket so close to home..good job you had the trailer with you :P . That was a good chat we all had that morning and great to meet you all back from Ladoga.

Made a bit more real with the superb DVD.

Back to the MM I spent a little time with the tape measure and vernier calipers today and i reckon there's room to have drum side flanges B) 200mm o/d - the std drum flange is 140mm. The rear winch will have to be std width to fit in between the chassis rails, the front one mounted above the chassis, could be longer by about 170mm without interfering with the front wings. The shaft is hardened and tempered - a quick file test so no figures :P - and also has a ground dia for the bearing to run on so its looking spendy already...

cheers

Steveb