Milemarker hydro winch longer drum

steve b

What is the asking price for Petal? If you dont mind my asking

I dont mind but the potential new owner might - so I'd rather not say.

Petals worth is where she was built to race, that was bought home by the comment "its only worth 8k tops in the UK, after all its never been competition proven"

[quote name='dollythelw' date='Oct 31 2007, 10:07 AM' post='194082'

new toy next season though :P more speed, more power, easier to use, less space.

Any more clues on the new winchs then Jez? are we talking industrial or deepsea fishing winchs? or are you looking at self build? drifting OT a bit but I've been daydreaming about multispeed annular gearbox drive with load sensed gearchanges as a basis for a winch drive for a while....I mentioned using such a set up to my local hydro engineers and he has obviously been thinking about it too cos the chat got very techy very quickly :blink: ...nothing conclusive though.....it's probably just added weight to the rumours that I'm a bit nut's :lol:

cheers

Steveb

its a 803, 3 tonne minidigger and I had the joystick apart the other day and only found wire in there :D . You have to lift the arm to get out and this disables the controls.... would be difficult with hydraulics

We used a Hanix 1 tonne mini-digger when we built the yard - that had the same lift up arm to escape but had the valve in the base of the lever. When the arm was lifted the mechanism locked the lever in the neutral position, well that was the intention but in practice it was possible to operate the lever with the arm locked upright

I went to look at a JCB 812 (12tonne) recently and that used hydraulic servo levers on the chair arms

Sorry Steveb, I'm massively OT

We used a Hanix 1 tonne mini-digger when we built the yard - that had the same lift up arm to escape but had the valve in the base of the lever. When the arm was lifted the mechanism locked the lever in the neutral position, well that was the intention but in practice it was possible to operate the lever with the arm locked upright

I went to look at a JCB 812 (12tonne) recently and that used hydraulic servo levers on the chair arms

Sorry Steveb, I'm massively OT

Not at all Lewis , this side chat about joystick control , leccy and hydro-servo is very interesting and relevant to how we control all that power ;)

Just finished mk 1 rear mount - I'm sure HFH knows what I mean by mk 1 - will take some pic's in daylight. This one is basically to get it on the 109 to try it with the rest of the system and if I'm happy with it mk 2 will be more involved.. :P ..isn't it always, will mean moving centre/rear fuel tank forwards,changing tank breathers and connecting pipes, winch mount fab in front of rear x-member etc etc

cheers

Steveb

Not at all Lewis , this side chat about joystick control , leccy and hydro-servo is very interesting and relevant to how we control all that power ;)

Perhaps hyrdo servos could solve some of the spool valve mounting issues? Their usage in excavators stems from the inability to place the large manual valve-block so that levers could operate ergonomically. The servo controls allow the remote placement of the larger valve bodies with the associated large bore pipework whilst maintaining a lever within easy reach of the operator

my thoughts exactly Lewis,

When I upgrade the motors on the MM and go to 3/4" hose and a big pump the idea of a dual winch control joystick sounds appealing. Looking forward to getting the basic set up running first though. The joy stick might need some sort of override to lock out the rear winch so it's not unintentionally engaged, maybe even a three way front only/rear only/ both type setup. Back to longer drums ...I'm going to take a shaft to my friendly machine shop to see how much for a couple of longer ones next week so will keep you all posted :)

cheers

Steveb

Lewis,

I stand corrected :blush:

Had a good look under the arm and there are indeed small bore hydro pipe work connected to plungers under the joystick. i guess this is the Hydrau-servo setup you describe above. Still think this would be a good way to go for winch controller though perhaps a bit too sensitive on rough ground?

I'm going to take a shaft to my friendly machine shop to see how much for a couple of longer ones next week so will keep you all posted :)

cheers

Steveb

Whilst you are there Steve, get him to fit an electric motor too :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pete

:lol::lol: You know me Pete, hydro is part of my destiny ;) , might end up with electric/hydro back up for the 90(100) if it ever gets finished though :P . Just got my hoses to pipe up the rear winch so looking forward to getting it running. Here are a couple of pic's of the mk1 temporary get it on the back mount, and one of the change over valve...this is electrically operated <_< might need to add 2 batteries and another alternator and some allbrights to run it :P

Right , off to fit some pipes - and get covered in 46wt hydraulic oil I expect B)

See you Sunday

cheers

Steveb

post-1339-1193926375_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1193926404_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1193926438_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1193926486_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1193926508_thumb.jpg

:lol::lol: You know me Pete, hydro is part of my destiny ;) , might end up with electric/hydro back up for the 90(100) if it ever gets finished though :P . Just got my hoses to pipe up the rear winch so looking forward to getting it running. Here are a couple of pic's of the mk1 temporary get it on the back mount, and one of the change over valve...this is electrically operated <_< might need to add 2 batteries and another alternator and some allbrights to run it :P

Right , off to fit some pipes - and get covered in 46wt hydraulic oil I expect B)

See you Sunday

cheers

Steveb

the winch is looking good steve will it be usable by sunday??

see you there

watson

Just finished mk 1 rear mount - I'm sure HFH knows what I mean by mk 1 - will take some pic's in daylight. This one is basically to get it on the 109 to try it with the rest of the system and if I'm happy with it mk 2 will be more involved.. ..isn't it always, will mean moving centre/rear fuel tank forwards,changing tank breathers and connecting pipes, winch mount fab in front of rear x-member etc etc

cheers

Steveb

Oh yes .... he does !!!

'Plan 3' seems to be fine, as Jez says I have twin levers next to each other and have used both at the same time loud pedal does the jobbie of speed control,

buy a decent quality valve block and they will last for yonks

Nige

well, its all piped up and running - it took a day and a half incl. taking the rear floor out- my rear floor is not std and is held in with lots of m6 csk stainless screws- seems to be fine. Routing the pipework took some considerable effort though . the 12v change-over valve works fine although I'm suprised how warm the electromagnetic coil gets after maybe 15mins use. The winch cable that came with the MM is a bit long and completely fills the drum when payed on evenly so todays job is to swap front and rear winch cable- front is 120' rear must be 150' or so to allow some space for build up to one side of the drum.

Mk 2 mount will probably include a deep-dish drum at least ,with a longer drum if I can get a shaft made at a reasonable price.

Will be interesting to see how it pulls compared to the front which is a Fairey mech winch converted to hydraulic drive :)

Cheers

Steveb

Will be interesting to see how it pulls compared to the front which is a Fairey mech winch converted to hydraulic drive :)

Hi, sorry to barge in on your thread... But do you have any pictures of the fairey mech winch hydraulic conversion?- How easy/ difficult/ how well does it perform? I have a "spare" complete with a hoofing great bumper (no pto or shafts :( ) in the garage taking up space and was wondering what to do with it- the drum on it is huge compared to my milemarker.

Shrek

When Fairey made them hydro they just replaced the input shaft with a hydraulic motor with the right sort of tub shaft on the end (hell, they probably sawed the end off a PTO shaft and used that :rolleyes: ) it's how they did the H14's.

Errr you seem to have worked out my cunning engineering conversion there fridge :lol:

MM type S , you're spot on with the difference in drum capacity , the fairey on mine it turns out has the same length and size of cable as the rear MM but is probably only half full...

The Fairey is powered by a dowty reversible pump off a series Land Rover Hyd. winch bolted to a bracket on the inside of the chassis rail with the last bit of the driveshaft with a uj at the pump end and the twin roller dog into the winch drive. It does seem to reach max pressure quickly releasing the PRV on a full drum and if I'm extracting say a RRC stuck to axle depth on 7.50s it needs most of the cable off and probably a pulley block...I'm not sure that the Dowty pump gives as much torque as the std MM Roller Stator pump .

Line speed is quicker than the MM in low , will be trying the MM out for real tomorrow hopefully as all I've done is load the wire and run it in a couple of times .. it did drag the 109 with the wheels locked :D

I'll get some pic's of the set up on the front and post them up

cheers

Steveb

I hate to ask negative questions here, but what is achieved by removing mechanical pto with a hydraulic pto and then run the same winch hydraulic?

Could you show a picture of the complete land, Seems you are another of the few series landys!

Daan

Errr you seem to have worked out my cunning engineering conversion there fridge :lol:

MM type S , you're spot on with the difference in drum capacity , the fairey on mine it turns out has the same length and size of cable as the rear MM but is probably only half full...

The Fairey is powered by a dowty reversible pump off a series Land Rover Hyd. winch bolted to a bracket on the inside of the chassis rail with the last bit of the driveshaft with a uj at the pump end and the twin roller dog into the winch drive. It does seem to reach max pressure quickly releasing the PRV on a full drum and if I'm extracting say a RRC stuck to axle depth on 7.50s it needs most of the cable off and probably a pulley block...I'm not sure that the Dowty pump gives as much torque as the std MM Roller Stator pump .

Line speed is quicker than the MM in low , will be trying the MM out for real tomorrow hopefully as all I've done is load the wire and run it in a couple of times .. it did drag the 109 with the wheels locked :D

I'll get some pic's of the set up on the front and post them up

cheers

Steveb

I hate to ask negative questions here, but what is achieved by removing mechanical pto with a hydraulic pto and then run the same winch hydraulic?

The ability to run more than one winch, ease of install (bendy pipes instead of routing driveshafts) and I would say slightly easier control, although I'm sure very good control is achievable with mech PTO too.

My setup (which I know isn't actually on the vehicle yet :rolleyes: ) has an auxiliary port and a 110v hydro-powered generator to plug into it B) which I thought was quite a cool thing.

Could you show a picture of the complete land, Seems you are another of the few series landys!

Daan

Hi Daan, I went hydro with the front because I wanted a rear hydraulic as well and also just because Ilike hydraulics. That said , it doesn't pull as well as the mech setup with the overload clutch wound up, but as I said above that would seem to be down to my choice of drive motor off the LR series hyd. winch..

Here are some pics of my 109 ..its a bit of a stealth hybrid though :D

cheers

Steveb

post-1339-1194162020_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1194162052_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1194162091_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1194162131_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1194162172_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1194162196_thumb.jpg