Mileage or Condition?

L-Andy

I'm sure this has been covered before but as a newly registered user wanted a little advice and to say hello. This is my first post so please be gentle!

Having wanted one since I was 12 I have finally got round to telling (*read asking) the wife I was getting a Landrover. Originally I wanted a Defender style but as it will be 2nd family vehicle common sense (*read wife) prevailed and am looking for a Disco.

I'm sure it will be down to the individual vehicle but what's more important - mileage or age. I have found a '95M with less than 70000 miles but bodywork needs abit of tidying for around the same price as you can pick up a say 96/87 with 130-140000 miles but in better condition.

I guess this is a silly question as the M has to be a bargain with that mileage but I remember reading somewhere (probably on this site! - great for info Thanks) someone saying that if it had got to say 120000 then it would keep going! I guess there is a bit of truth in that.

Any comments?

see, ive always thought slightly opposed to that.

high mileage cars dont bother me, my disco has 160k on but it so sweet, regular oil changes etc etc just general maintainance. condition is a definate factor though, as you certainly dont want a workhorse that has been used and abused - try and look for one that has been owned by someone who knows what they are doing and is maybe part enthusiast like us here.

i'd rather have a disco thats done 150k with impecible maintainence history, than a 75k low miler that has barely had the oil changed and just valeted to the max to look good for the sale! plus the higher miler with be alot cheaper and you will have more movement on the price as it will be harder to sell for the seller.

Thanks! I guess it's a poorly worded very general question with no right or wrong answer!

I don't have/not prepared to spend much at the moment as this has been a dream for a while but have decided to make it a reality - might end up deciding it's not for me! I think I'm caught up in the whole LR community idea & aspirations of travel (which with 2 kids (3.5 & 1.5) might be hard - that said why should it be) which I blame on sites like this ! :D

I have the chance to buy a 95 M with 68k (and history) for £ 1850! The only issue I can see is a bit of the usual corrosion especially on bottom of rear door. This is obviously sortable but is it the beginning of the end or just superficial! Both bumpers could also do with being treated and painted.

I guess I'm just using this to think aloud and delay the inevitable - I will soon be the proud owner of a Disco of some sort as the bug has bitten and won't let go! Who knows what will happen then!

If thats the only coirrosion on it then sounds a good deal. With Discos though its the corrosion you can't see is oftern the problem. You need to poke behind the plastic sill trim for rust, lift the boot floor carpet and check the whole of the rear floor AND aopen the bonnet and move asside the wiring that runs in the corners of the inner wings. If all these areas are OK then buy it. All mechanical bit can and will break and you m,ust expect to do a few repairs on a 12 year old truck. However, it will be body rot that finally puts the truck on the scrap heap unless you have heaps of time and are handy with a welder. In that case it doesn't really matter, buy the cheapest you can get and make it into the truck YOU want.

to be honest, if you buy one with 250,000 miles on it, but with a sound body and fair service history it will cause you less greif than one with 90,000 on it, no history and a rotten shell..

a reasonable secondhand Tdi engine can be found for £400-£700... which is probably less than paying someone to replace the sills and inner wings on a rust bucket....

Youre looking at around £500 - £600 for sill replacement if you cant do it yourself or have a mate with a welder!! there are plenty of discos out there, look for no more than 150k on the clock but the rust is the killer, as orgasmic said. Steering box is another common fault that requires about 100 of your hard earned pounds!

Good luck in your quest, and remember, to own a landrover is more of a passion than a common sense idea!

Good luck in your quest, and remember, to own a landrover is more of a passion than a common sense idea!

That's what I'm worried about - heart ruling head!

Going to see one at weekend and I just hope I can try and put into practice all the great advice I'm getting, rather than let my eagerness to join the ranks lead me astray!

Can't believe how involved I've become before even buying one - what will I be like when I actually get my hands on one! It's even spreading to the family - I can't read any LR magazines without my three & a half year old daughter "reading" them first! :rolleyes:

Simple, do a bit of homework on the forum and find out what the common

faults are on the model you are looking at. RUST

Then write yourself a checklist.

Take some tools, checklist, overalls when you go to see the car.

Make sure everything is cold. Engine, gearbox etc.

Then using your checklist, look at every point and make notes.

Then have a look over your checklist and make your decission.

This is what I did when I bought my P38, and was looking at/ testdriving for 4 hours

before I made my decision and managed to work the price down quite well.

It also gives the seller the impression you know what you are doing. :lol:

If I was you I would look at and drive as many as you reasonably can to get a feel for them. I looked at a late 300tdi, low mileage and a full history which drove terribly. I settled eventually on an older model with 127,000 miles which looked very up together and drove really well and cost less than half of the newer one. There were a few faults I found later but nothing too bad.

Loads to choose from .Don't rush.

Jules

Having wanted one since I was 12 I have finally got round to telling (*read asking) the wife

You either married VERY Young or are a very patient man :lol:

Welcome

IMHO

3 words

Condition Condition Condition

Don't confuse condition with mileage, a V8 or a deisel (makes little difference) with 150,000 miles on it say vs a 40,000 miler does mean much, but the 1st with a full dealer service history and having been cuddled fussed over and cosetted it going to be the better than a 40,000 snotter with poor or no care run low on oil for 000s of miles because couldn't be bothered to top up oil, or poor / no servicing.

Body condition, engine servicing, and general loving makes for the better motors forget age,

Condition Condition Condition

Nige

You either married VERY Young or are a very patient man :lol:

Neither! After 20 years (wanting not marriage!) only now do I think I can afford it! Done the fast(ish) cars - Omega V6 (miss that), Chavalier SRI - time for a change of pace. Of course if I'm not careful it could be more stop than anything!

I guess I'm trying to work out if "body" conditon matters as oppossed to "structural" condition. If the thing has a bit of surface rust (what car doesn't after a few years here!) that is easily made good but the important bits look Ok, is this a sensible option or will I end up chasing rust round the thing for ever? I fully intend to "waxoyl" at the first suitable opportunity.

Thanks to all for the advice & warm welcome. Think I'm going to enjoy Landy Land. Do you think that it's a coincidence that the first letters of both words are La La? :wacko::lol:

Don't forget that all the outer panels on the Disco are Aluminium (apart from roof) and apart from bubbling under the paint will last forever (nearly). The inner skins of doors are steel and rot but not catastrophically like on a defender. So external condition is really no indication. Better an enthusiast owned example that has been understood and serviced and cared for but has battle scars than the shiny forecourt example which has done school runs, towed a big caravan and has only intermittent servicing of bear minimum sorts.

That's it then, decision made. I'm not going to meet the guy I was going to as I would have felt obliged to buy it and if it is great I'll never know.

I'm going to print out all the great advice and get off my a**e and start looking at a few, driving them to get a feel for them and to understand them a bit better.

Then I'll probably buy one and sods law it will break down on the way home! :lol:

Thanks.