Spidertrax axles

alan kemp

Not being a techy and not that interested in the ins and outs of every thing, I thought I would ask if anyone can point me in the direction of buying (very quickly) a set of spidertrax axles with 9" diffs, ARB lockers and flanges that will take my existing volvo portal boxes. I would rather pay a little extra to have this package delivered to my place than trying to contact all of the different suppliers of the required bits and then doing it myself.

I still intend to fit Gen 3 portal tek axles to my new truck but I have to get the existing truck ultra reliable for the 2008 season., Portaltek delivery times are quite long so I would prevfer this option for now if it is quicker.

I would prefer to deal diect with a UK based supplier who knows what he is doing if possible.

Alan, have you looked on Pirate for references - there is a vendors section which you might find handy.

Searching for threads on "spider9" will throw up a few who have done it. 9" suppliers are plentiful. Google spits out most of the common ones directly.

It seems you're not too interested in tthe tech of your axles - which is cool - but if you're building a set of custom axles, you're going to need to dig a bit (or do you just want to throw the truck at someone and say 'get it sorted'?).

If you're going to the trouble of building spider9 centres, why not just add the portal-tek drop boxes when the time comes - what will you gain by swapping the centre section again? How will the portal-tek centre be better than the spider9 with a locker? You could just change the flanges and keep the rest, maybe?

Gonna brace the housings? Which wall dimension are you going to get?

3rd member depends a lot on budget too. Have you seen the tru hi 9? Maybe you don't need the hi-pinion if you're already adding portals (or can't fit it in). You have so many options with the 9 centre. Places like www.markwilliams.com will give you a start, as will pirate, or: http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html etc etc. If you have the budget, the threads on pirate will point you to people capable of building your axles for you - if you just want to order it fully built.

Post back if you need a recommendation for getting it shipped over - either in part-deliveries from various sources, or as crated fully built axles.

Hope it helps a bit (bit waffly, innit!).

Al :)

My volvo axles, (both sets) are old, the locker on the front is not reliable, mainly cos the axle was bent a while ago and I have not managed to get it ultra straight. The locker will only go in at one position. Last weekend in went in and stayed in, nightmare on the road. The diffs have quite a lot of slack and need rebuilding.

I want to be competitive, I do lots of events and want to do European events in 2008. I need the car to be ultra reliable. On the whole, I have built the car myself and I am ok with that in the future but gear ratio's, research etc etc, I neither have the time nor inclination for.

I would rather just buy 2 sets of Portal tek Gen 3 axles but there is quite a long lead time. The best stop gap is to buy spidertrax with 9's in and fit my existing portal boxes. I am hoping for a price and delivery date from STX today for the 3/8 wall. I assume I will be able to get 9's with ARB's in fairly quick. Just need some halfshafts and flanges made to get them to talk and jobs done in a couple of weeks. I can do the welding of the flanges and all the bracketry, just need the bits.

I would have bought them off the shelf but SPX only sell the casings.

It is a stop gap for this truck but I am building 2 trucks both with portal axles, one will swap to disco 2 axles for speed events.

Thanks for the info Al, will get some digging done.........

Alan - I don't know of any in the UK. I'd be surprised if there are any. As much as they know their stuff, I don't think you'll have much luck with Ashcroft for custom building a Ford 9 into a spidertrax housing.

You might get a custom 4x4 builder to sort it for you, but its probably safer if you just order the things built from the states. They have all the parts / experience of the Ford 9s. If you don't know what spec to get regarding bearing sizes / spline counts, housing types, ratios, pinion oilers, treatments, trussing, blah blah, just email the axle builders referenced in pirate, and they will sort you out. Try talking to Sunray for a start. Avoid USA 6x6.

Regards, Al.

Alan - I don't know of any in the UK. I'd be surprised if there are any. As much as they know their stuff, I don't think you'll have much luck with Ashcroft for custom building a Ford 9 into a spidertrax housing.

You might get a custom 4x4 builder to sort it for you, but its probably safer if you just order the things built from the states. They have all the parts / experience of the Ford 9s. If you don't know what spec to get regarding bearing sizes / spline counts, housing types, ratios, pinion oilers, treatments, trussing, blah blah, just email the axle builders referenced in pirate, and they will sort you out. Try talking to Sunray for a start. Avoid USA 6x6.

Regards, Al.

Alan im not sure using a ford 9inch and spider axle casing is the way forward, when i was looking at the pictures the diff apears to be quite a bit larger than the volvo diff housing. This could potentualy cause problems unless huge bumpstops are used to stop the diff punching holes in the sump. Have you found any measurements for the axle casing?

I think it might be worth modifing the volvo axle casing to fit landrover or jeep parts that are avalable off the shelf in the uk, then get someone like ashcroft to make some custom shafts to marry the new diff to the volvo portal box splines.

would A Landrover 24 spline diff be strong enought with the portal hub reduction? what is the volvo portal hub reduction ratio?

Hi Alan,

I'm using Spidertrax axles on my truck (which is almost finished!) http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14475, If you need any info about these axles contact Dieter Duytschaever from D&G 4x4 Tuning via info@dgtuning.com.

He went to the USA to visit the guys from Spidertrax and has a very good technical knowledge and contact with them.

His Phone nr is +32476401067

If you want more info I can help you too, just sent me a mail or pm

Hendrik

www.haka4x4.be

Alan im not sure using a ford 9inch and spider axle casing is the way forward, when i was looking at the pictures the diff apears to be quite a bit larger than the volvo diff housing. This could potentualy cause problems unless huge bumpstops are used to stop the diff punching holes in the sump. Have you found any measurements for the axle casing?

I think it might be worth modifing the volvo axle casing to fit landrover or jeep parts that are avalable off the shelf in the uk, then get someone like ashcroft to make some custom shafts to marry the new diff to the volvo portal box splines.

would A Landrover 24 spline diff be strong enought with the portal hub reduction? what is the volvo portal hub reduction ratio?

Hi Chris, I am going with spidertrax cos they are used on the Portal tek gen 3 axles which I will be buying for the Tomcat later in the year. The diff will be nowhere near the sump as the engine is going back as much as I can move it and the front axle is going forward, (back axle is going backwards to give me 100"). I have to work out the hub reduction ratio, Dave Ashcroft has kindly talked me through it....

I have no measurements for the diff from the centre of the axle but I dont think an inch or so will be an issue.

Cheers Adrian, I will be talking to rakeway for portal flanges for the spidertrax axles.

Hi Hendrik, your build looks superb, some top engineering going on there I think. I will steal a few ideas if you dont mind, I like the four link on the back amongst other things.

Spidertrax are very prompt in their replies and they have pointed me in the direction of the ford 9" diffs, still not sure what I need though, its a minefield to the uninitiated...

Al, thanks for the info, I have posted on Pirate and they have some Knowlegable guys on there

Dull facts of the day (and just for reference) a Volvo diff will lock in 15.8 degrees of wheel rotation if its functioning within spec

drop ratio is 2.06

crownwheel is 8"

Randys ring and pinion are worth a hit for 9" crownwheel and pinion kits LINKY YG F9-284 is gonna be the puppy if you use a stock Volvo drop box

what about speaking to maddison 4x4 about a set of their monster dynatrac axles?

they use them on neil redpaths 6.2l supercharged nutter bast@rd V8 diesel and have never broken anything on them - even during the Oz outback challenge.

that way you have an off the shelf solution as a stop gap = and you may be able to fit your drop boxes to the end of them in the future with a bit of engineering brilliance.

also they come with any ratio and lockers fitted

http://www.maddison4x4.com/content/view/24/21/

Hy Guy's,

Next week we will start building the Spyder 9 axles under mine also.

So, if we can be of any help ?? Please, let me know !!

Dieter from D&G 4x4 will do it togheter with me.

@ Alan, I saw you on the 3 peaks, I was co driving Lara ,-)

Greetz,

Ced

IMO the only good part of a standard 9'' diff is the ring and pinion. the rest is made from carp steam age grey iron, and the upgraded nodular iron components cost $$$. For front diff application the tooth pressure angles are really all wrong which in extreme circumstances can push the carrier through the side of the pinion housing or shear the pinion carrier off the housing.

Bill.