This forum is here to stay

LR90

With you and Trev around I haven't the faintest idea what my real post count is... Fortunately I don't care very much :)

i cant vote on the post count :(

but i think they have abolutely no relevance.

+1

Post counts are irrelevant, if you want to find out whether someone has a worthwhile opinion or not you can easily search for all posts they have made and read a few to see if they are good knowledge or meaningless jabbering.

..and I still think there should be a separate non-LR related forum created for people to chatter about anything and everything. It gives a place for building more friendships and makes it nice and easy for those people who only want to read technical posts. :)

then less people'll contribute to the general discussions. I know that on LRO for instance I ignore the general discussion forum as I look at the titles, think 'politics, not for me thanks'/'waste of time' while here, I'll be scanning the International Forum for 2 reasons, technical + discussion. Of course maybe it makes a difference that most discussion here is relatively sensible, with obvious exceptions :D

I wouldn't want to make a judgment on a person's character based on 10 posts for instance;

I would think though that it's a good idea not to have to search for background when quickly scanning eg a person's advert, when scanning a person's answer to a technical question — particularly as it's possibly newer members who would need advice, who wouldn't be so familiar with searching a member's posts to check what kind of person they are — equally newer members frequently wouldn't understand posts that are relatively sensible, potentially dismissing them in their own ignorance/ other potential misunderstandings; the principle of post count categories works well as a simple, obvious, guide, without reading all that much into it.