Fuel pipe regarding MOT?

tuffstuff

I have developed a bad fuel leak on my Beast so last night i removeed the fuel tank to discover that the sender/pump unit has corroded, the pipe that goes from the unit to the filter has also corroded and from the filter to about a foot over the rear wheel arch and about a foot of the return pipe over the rear wheel arch!

So i have ordered a new sender/pump unit but i was going to order normal rubber fuel pipe and cut back until i find good metal and replace. Alas i have been informed that due to the car being an EFI i needed to replace metal with metal as this would not pass next years MOT? Is this correct or is someone just trying to make me spend more money than required?

I am going to Wales this weekend so need to get it sorted pretty quickly, pump should be here tomorrow but if i need to replace the fuel pipes with metal then i need to order them in time.

Any help or advice would be great, Thanks

Tony

Firstly: I don't know the definitive answer, but mine has mainly rubber pipe and has gone through several MoT's like that. Also there was originally some rubber pipe in the system as spec'd by LandRover so I don't see why you shouldn't replace the lot... As long as whatever you use can take the EFI pump's pressure and is securely clipped out of the way. I am going to replace mine with item 290097219059 on eBay and I don't expect any problems... After all this stuff is described as fuel/oil hose with a Working Pressure: 120 P.S.I (8 BAR)... Should be ok I think... Not too expensive either...

TwoSheds

The entire system on the 109 is plumbed in rubber, I replaced the hoses on dad's RR front-to-back with rubber and both have gone through MOT no problem. Make sure you get EFi or high pressure hose and not carb hose. It's not pricey. Proper fuel hose clips are very worthwhile too.

Use cable ties in a figure 8 round the fuel pipe along its route from the tank to the engine & whatever you are fastening it to (usually the chassis) if the plastic securing clips are broken & you can't get at them. That was from an MoT tester years ago & I have never had a problem with a pipe so fastened.

The only issues with fuel lines regarding the MOT are security and leaks. You don't have to follow the original route - nor do you have to use original fixings to secure it. The fuel lines must not abrade on any part of the vehicle in a manner that is likely to cause a leak, so you can use string, zip ties, shoe laces - whatever you like. The rubber pipe you use will be stamped as being suitable for fuel and will be fine for replacing the steel ones - either partly or completely.

Les.