whats a series 1 worth?

bigblue110

i've been offered a 1950's series 1 with a full canvas hood which has been garaged for the past twenty years having been 'tarted up' before being put there. im yet to look so dont know what condition its in as yet will have a peek on wednesday, but im told it has an ally baulkhead which i think is quite rare any way???and is all there but not all together, believe its in need of a wiring loom and a few other bits and bobs.

he then told me he has v5s for 2 other 1's and pretty much everything usable from them as he broke them way back when. this 'stash' as he called it includes gearboxs, engines, panels, axles and a loom. all in for £1500(including the vehicle)the guy is 72 and would finally like his garage back! im thinkin i could have a bargain and a huge money making opertunity, should it be complete, iv been looking at parts on eblag n there pretty pricey! so therefore has the potential to be a huge money pit if not.

any series 1 nutters knowledgaeble people out there that could give me an idea of the value of a complete nut and bolt rebuild with the intent on it being as original as humanly possible, with availability of parts etc???

its either this'n or a free 2a which is a complete shed-needing every bit imaginable, as a winter project and an excuse to remove myself from work for excessive periods of time over crimbo :i-m_so_happy: much more enthused by the sounds of the 1 to be honest!

cheers andy

>>forgot to add that it has overdrive and free wheeling hubs. he has bits to make it 4 wheel drive is it worth more 2 or 4 how would i know what it was origianllY? any info site??

i've been offered a 1950's series 1 with a full canvas hood which has been garaged for the past twenty years having been 'tarted up' before being put there. im yet to look so dont know what condition its in as yet will have a peek on wednesday, but im told it has an ally baulkhead which i think is quite rare any way???and is all there but not all together, believe its in need of a wiring loom and a few other bits and bobs.

he then told me he has v5s for 2 other 1's and pretty much everything usable from them as he broke them way back when. this 'stash' as he called it includes gearboxs, engines, panels, axles and a loom. all in for £1500(including the vehicle)the guy is 72 and would finally like his garage back! im thinkin i could have a bargain and a huge money making opertunity, should it be complete, iv been looking at parts on eblag n there pretty pricey! so therefore has the potential to be a huge money pit if not.

any series 1 nutters knowledgaeble people out there that could give me an idea of the value of a complete nut and bolt rebuild with the intent on it being as original as humanly possible, with availability of parts etc???

its either this'n or a free 2a which is a complete shed-needing every bit imaginable, as a winter project and an excuse to remove myself from work for excessive periods of time over crimbo :i-m_so_happy: much more enthused by the sounds of the 1 to be honest!

cheers andy

Concourse restoration 80" have auctioned in the GBP 27,000 range. A similar level of restoration for an 86" may fetch in the high teens - low twenties but that's much more iffy. For an 88" I can't find any consistent numbers. In any event, it's definitely worth taking a look at them as 1500 squid for a good'un and two donors seems like a good deal.

cheers RPR

i dont think she'll be along the lines of a concourse rebuild as i dont think buget, or time for that matter will allow it.

did they produce 80" 86" and 88" throughout there production period or was it later that 86" and 88"where made?-really not familiar with them at all!?

Alloy bulkhead is quite rare and valuable. If the vehicle is standard - inc siamese/spread bore engine? then it'll be worth more than the £1500 you are paying for the whole lot. Restoring one using genuine parts can get expensive. I paid £620 just for a set of gen lights for a 1956 86" S1.

Les.

......£27K ????? for a 80" -where and which one? centre steer original???

If it has an ally bulkhead it should be a 80" around 1952. If its an 88" S1 it will be '56/57 I would think

Your deal sounds ok IF the chassis is good and orig otherwise if you rechassis its not going to be original is it ?

Would be worth getting the chassis no and checking out The Series One Club for info, I would have said a realistic value well restored is £3000 to £5000 but it would have to be well detailed at that

Good luck with it , sounds fun. If you need bits pm me as I have some

Cheers

Steveb

Sheeppimp, bought a S1 1952 80 in May, i think that he paid in the region of £2k, and his one has a 2.25 petrol, later box(?) and a S2 front axle, it also has an internal cage, but looks original externally.

I dont think his has an ally bulkhead either, but it was allegedly rebuilt about 6yr ago, judging by the condition that looks to be a fair assesment.

Not being an expert, but £1500 for three, ok some in bits seems good, you ought to be able to get one nice truck out of it atleast. It seems that unless is mint and concours then the huge prices are not normal.

Various S1's seem to float about in the £2k - £4k territory depending on how original they are.

Whether you van make money on them ought to be a side issue, especially as you have said you have a free S2 that you could do, build it to enjoy the resto or to get something to use, thats probably the best approach.

For that money it's a steal, the alloy bulheads are very rare should be alloy cladding to a steel angle frame used twice according to the bible (James Taylors Original Series One) 1949 and then again in 1952 ! But evidently also supplied as replacements.

Check that the springs are right should be narrow ones on an 80 inch that early, the bits are now very sought after as the 60th anniversary hove on the horizon.

Best thing is to get the chassis numbers and engine numbers as the Series One Club can tell you when and where it was built and sold from that.

These sought of projects are in high demand so I would grab it before a dealer hears and gazumps the price up. If I got £1500.00 for my Series One I would be pleased as it is very non original so one with all the right bits is worth at least £3500.00 one in this quarters Series One Club mag for £3750.00. theres also a lights behind the grille one for £5k so not to be sneezed at.

If you need any advice I can suggest you ring Phil Barry a dealer who is in Kendal and is very knowledgeable 01539 824181 I am sure he would be interested !

As said earlier I bought my '52 80in earlier this year for just over 2,200 up and running but it's not exactly concours, more useable and that's what I was after.

this is the vehicle details page of the series one club webby and gives good info on numbers and stuff.

to be honest restoring for profit is (IMHO) the wrong reason, do it for the pleasure of the process. If you decide to go for it though best of luck, theres nowt better than a series one

cheers all

ill try get some pics up tmoro eve after i go see it.

i talked to the bloke a bit more tday n seems like its had a new rear cross member at some point n has had the 2itre engine put in it, so has obviously been played with a bit.- its a 1950 which i think should be a 1.6??? hopefully hes got the original within the parts hes got with it in his garage. hopefully ill be able to make one complete 'mint' vehicle and possibly sell parts off to then fund the 2a :i-m_so_happy:

i agree any restoration should be done for enjoyment rather than profit and shouldnt be taken lightly, especially as it turns out its quite an early 1. iv already done my defender110 and helped out with a mates series3, always fancied geting my hands on a series one. was refuring more to the selling of unwanted spares more then profit gained by selling the vehicle, as with any project what begins as a simple rebuild its never really that easy and will always run away from you if especially something like this where the parts fetch rediculous prices!!!!

cheers for contacts and will give you a shout(steve B) should i find myself short of anything- that is if i do go ahead with it anyway

andy

• 2 weeks later...

how much is a completely original but nackered series 1 worth?

ive got one, in the shed round the back of the farm, my dad parked it there and it was running on 3 cyliders then and that was 20 years ago.

how much is a completely original but nackered series 1 worth?

ive got one, in the shed round the back of the farm, my dad parked it there and it was running on 3 cyliders then and that was 20 years ago.

Really not a lot, a mate has just bought a complete one with all the bits to restore it for £500.00, it's a very difficult thing to value without pics or seeing it. Just because it's old doesn't necessarily mean it is worth a lot. These are bought on the condition of chassis, bulkhead and running gear. To rebuild the engine is not cheap, see the articles in LRW on that score.

I have just sold mine with full years MOT for £1500.00 but it is not original by any means but is a reasonable runner with a heap of spares.