OT: Which bluetooth GPS reciever

JST

one day, mind power allowing i will make the transition to MM etc and am looking for a suitable GPS receiver to use in a vehicle.

it needs to be bluetooth with usb backup if possible and have decent battery life with an in car charger.

any ideas/suggestions

I've got a Holux 236 and I think Jonathan's got an M1000 which is a newer one. With the specific USB cable (normal cables only charge it up, this has a converter thing in it to carry the signal too) I can run the laptop via USB and the PDA via Bluetooth at the same time. Which is nice :)

Richard

I have on recommendation from here a Holux BT-321. Great bit of kit, very quick fix and even get a fix indoors. Uses USB cable for charging but not data transfer. Bought it on eblag.

The seller I bought mine off is now selling Holux BT-541 instead.

I have a Holux BT-541 (i think from the same seller) and it works very well.

Pete.

one day, mind power allowing i will make the transition to MM etc and am looking for a suitable GPS receiver to use in a vehicle.

it needs to be bluetooth with usb backup if possible and have decent battery life with an in car charger.

any ideas/suggestions

You need to go for one with 'Sirf Star' technology, I think mine is a version three or a four... I use a Nokia LD-300 for my smartphone (takes Nokia battery so has 21 hour life), but Ive got a built in GPS on my PDA (O2 XDA) for memory map which has to be the way forward cos using bluetooth soaks up battery power...

The sirf star technology is one of the best out there, aquires sattelites very quickly (30+ seconds - maybe a minute+ if you are moving) and you can throw the GPS in the glovebox and it still works, so it rarely drops the signal... A lot of other GPS carp pales into comparison by Sirf star standards, in fact my mates Garmin needs an external aerial and still takes 5 mins to find sattelites!

Have fun...

Cheers

Jamie