recovery swivel rings

I will be adding recovery points soon, Jate rings & Swivel Recovery rings. The Jates just go through existing holes in the rear of the chassis, right?

Where do you mount the swivel rings? Do you drill holes or do they fit underneath those rubber caps, where there is an existing hol?

ta

Martin

Personally I wouldn't use Jate rings on the rear. They are a pain to reach when stuck and you should really use a bridle when recovering with them. Much better to fit something like a nato hitch or one of the recovery loops that fit on the rear cross member, (both fitted with a spreader plate on the rear). LRS Off road do one.

Not sure I understand what you mean by swivel rings. Usually they are used on winch bumpers with a hole cut in and a retaining ring used on the rear. Given this there is no way you can mount them in the location you are suggesting. Can you give us a better description of them.

Cheers

Steve

hi

the jate rings attach using the hole where the existing lashing eye is bolted, when you go off roading attach your bridle before you get stuck then you wont need to go crawling through mud to attach it... just bungee it up out of the way on your xmember

mike

BTW i'd still put a nato hitch on with a big spreader plate BOTH sides of the xmember and dont forget the 2 nuts on each bolt!

the jate rings attach using the hole where the existing lashing eye is bolted, when you go off roading attach your bridle before you get stuck then you wont need to go crawling through mud to attach it... just bungee it up out of the way on your xmember

mike

Just a point to note, if you use a 'pre attached' bridle, you should thread the bridle through the loop on the end of a recovery rope before attaching the second end of the bridle to the vehicle. If you just pre attach the bridle, you will inevitably connect a recovery rope to the bridle using a shackle. This should be avoided at all costs for off road recovery.

This is particularly important here because the pre attached bridle can easily get damaged under the vehicle. If the bridle breaks and you have used a shackle to attach the recovery rope to the bridle, that shackle will become a potentially lethal missile.

Regards,

Diff

Just been looking around & researching these front mounting points.....seems you are right about the swivel rings only going on winch or heavy duty bumpers!!

But this begs the question, what do I do about recovery points up front then. Haven't got a winch/heavy duty bumper, nor do I plan on getting one.

I see there are those lashing points you guys are on about at the front, but I am assuming that the same applies to these as to those at the back...i.e unsuitable for recovery due to being able to bend?

Is my only option then, another pair of Jate's in place of these?? Can Jate rings fit there?

Martin

ps What the hell are those lashing rings for anyway??!! And whilst im asking probably daft questions....what are the grab handles for!!??

Just been looking around & researching these front mounting points.....seems you are right about the swivel rings only going on winch or heavy duty bumpers!!

But this begs the question, what do I do about recovery points up front then. Haven't got a winch/heavy duty bumper, nor do I plan on getting one.

I see there are those lashing points you guys are on about at the front, but I am assuming that the same applies to these as to those at the back...i.e unsuitable for recovery due to being able to bend?

Is my only option then, another pair of Jate's in place of these?? Can Jate rings fit there?

Martin

ps What the hell are those lashing rings for anyway??!! And whilst im asking probably daft questions....what are the grab handles for!!??

The lashing rings are for tieing the vehicle down for transport on a truck or such.

You can use Jate rings on the front. There are spots behind the bumper for them. Getting a proper bumper is the best choice....

Unbolt & throw the transporter lashing rings in the bin, fit a pair of JATE rings in their place, as you've done a search you should have found the part number for the jate rings. the grab handles on the back are a crude protection for the rear lights.

How about some good old fashioned 'D' rings mounted on top of the bumper? These use the existing bumper mountings and, if fitted with decent bolts and used with a bridle, Bob's your mothers' brother.

I always thought you weren't supposed to lash directly to the bumper?

Actually - thinking about it, I guess that's only true if you sling a single rope round it and therefore it centres and puts lateral load on the chasis rails. Any other bumper with towing points in will only be bolted to the chasis anyway - they'll have just placed the points more carefully. :rolleyes:

Proper 'D' rings are bolted to the chassis via the bumper bolts so there's no danger of lateral loads on the chassis unless rigged in a very strange way (I'd post a picture except the ones I have for mine are in the garage being painted at the moment :rolleyes: ). A good bridle is recommended as they're basically only attached with two 10mm bolts each, but it's good practice to use one anyway. The big advantage is that they're above the bumper, so no grovelling around in the mud to reach them when stuck!

For the rear I'd just bolt a pin hitch to the back with decent bolts & spreader plate - since you are asking the question I'm guessing you're not about to do anything massively super-extreme with it anyway.

Hitches are about £15, spreader plates a couple of quid, bolts the same.