squealing noise under load

discojmz

hi guys.

had a squealing noise coming from somewhere fairly front central of the disco for a while now, and was losing my alternator and power steering when going through anything more than a deep puddle, but i tightened the belts up which cured the slippage but i still have the squeal.

it occurs when i put my foot down and accelerate, up to about 2500rpm where it will stop. it also occurs when pulling up a hill at constant speed.

it doesnt feel like the clutch is 'slipping' any amount per se, but would it scream like this?

i know my release bearing is tired, it makes a wonderful rough sound on tickover out of gear when just stood (or is that my gearbox? only 17k old!!)

help! it's driving me mad and knowing most things on discos it's happened a thousand times before.

oh yes, L reg 200tdi

cheers

jim

Remove the drive belts and check the pulleys/bearings on water pump/PAS pump/air con/etc,etc.

If they all seem fine, then maybe your belts are glazed-up through age and just need replacing. Bear in mind that the PAS pump belt has to be quite tight relative to the alternator belt.

Les.

I saw something like this years ago - we removed all the belts and it still squealed but only under load... IIRC it turned out to be a small split in one of the hoses that go to the intercooler... Sounded a bit like belts though...

TwoSheds

Remove the drive belts and check the pulleys/bearings on water pump/PAS pump/air con/etc,etc.

If they all seem fine, then maybe your belts are glazed-up through age and just need replacing. Bear in mind that the PAS pump belt has to be quite tight relative to the alternator belt.

Les.

if it were belts etc though les, it would happen whether the vehicle was moving or stationary surely. this only occurs when im making the engine work. accelerating, pulling up hills etc. I can rev freely all day long stood still and cannot re-create the sound whatsoever, but yeah my belts are pretty new, the pullies didnt seem too polished and theyre all nice and tight

I saw something like this years ago - we removed all the belts and it still squealed but only under load... IIRC it turned out to be a small split in one of the hoses that go to the intercooler... Sounded a bit like belts though...

TwoSheds

thanks mate. I'll give them a good looking over! i suppose theyre getting on for 14 years old so could well be!

ok, dont know if i mentioned this before but it does it on acceleration but if i drop a gear during engine braking, it does not.

would a cambelt be under increased load under acceleration?

it's this stops once the engine reaches 2500rpm-ish (on boost?) that's bugging me

the only time i can listen for it is when im driving the damned thing, so im sorry i cant pinpoint it aurally any more than i am doing :(

jim

thanks dude, i shall check that out as well!!

however i just found out from receipts that although the cambelt is due as it was done 61k ago (this i knew), the 61k was 10 years ago and the idler and tensioner seem never to have been done!!!

driving back home to do it is going to be a butt clenching experience whether it's the problem or not!

I'm no expert and this is only a uess but if it only does it under load can you do it wuith your foot on the brake and the other foot on the accelerator - to generate load??

That way you could get a friend to do it whilst trying to work out where the sound was coming from??

right, ordering parts:

belt ETC8550

tensioner ERR2530

Idler pulley ETC8560

front cover gasket ERR1195

dust seal ETC4154

camshaft front oil seal ERR6490

water pump gasket ERR388

hope this is correct. i figure while im in there i might as well do the lot

also ordered inlet/exhaust manifold gasket and rocker gasket. have the rest of service parts. will do the manifolds just in case (cant see any obvious problem, and i think my clearances could do with setting)

just noticed paddocks do a kit excluding the two seals. will do that.