hydraulic / electric power

davidlandy

I can get hold of a hydraulic motor pack that is driven by a 4 hp 12v electric motor - it contains a solenoid pack, hyd pump and reservoir. Its off a rather large tail lift vehicle. Not sure of the flow though.

is there any reason why this couldnt be converted to power a winch ?

ie get the advantages of both power types.

The Winch boys will be along shortly, I'm sure, but in the meantime, to give them and you something to shy at:

In round figures, 4hp equals 3000 watts, equals 250 Amps at 12 volts.

So that's starter motor-ish current, not for the 10 seconds it takes to start the engine, but for ???? minutes.

Where were you planning to continuously draw that amount of electrical power from?

In it's original form, how long does it take for the tail lift to rise from ground level to load height? Probably less that 30 seconds?

I think it's this area where the problem lies, before you even get to the hydraulic output.

HTH.

that's also electric winch current... wouldnt draw any more forseeably than most winches on the market way i see it.

strangely the electrical power would generally come from a 'battery'. this is often a second 'battery' which charges between uses.

at least batteries powered electric motors when i was at primary school :o maybe physics HAS changed

It will work reasonably. The issue you get is the amount of power you loose in each energy conversion -

Electric to rotation, rotation to hydraulic pressure, hydraulic to rotation

Compared to a single conversion in an electric setup. You could easily loose 25% in each conversion so your 4Hp becomes:

3 Hp on 1st conversion

2.25 on 2nd

1.68 on 3rd

So, what appears to deliver a decent power, in practice gives you a lot less at the cable.

Might be worth considering as a backup or to top up the feed from your hydraulic pump?

Si

I can get hold of a hydraulic motor pack that is driven by a 4 hp 12v electric motor - it contains a solenoid pack, hyd pump and reservoir. Its off a rather large tail lift vehicle. Not sure of the flow though.

is there any reason why this couldnt be converted to power a winch ?

ie get the advantages of both power types.

Hi, tried this exact route a while ago, got a hydraulic pump from some redundant equipment, had a coupling machined at work and connected it to a winch motor, hey presto thinks I, now when I drown the V8 I can pull myself out of the goo, even bought a winch, it works, but god is it slow, I was getting about 6rpm on the winch, which equates to about three foot a minute, if you can get to work good luck, but I've given up.

Anyone want a H14 winch, sorry wrong section.

As above, it will work but be very slow... but then my winch is slow anyway!!

Ideal as a back up for if you drown the engine or if you roll and have to kill the engine but need to winch yourself back upright. Just plumb it in in parallel with the main pump- with a non return valve to prevent the main pump spinning it when it is not being used.

Shrek

As above, it will work but be very slow... but then my winch is slow anyway!!

Ideal as a back up for if you drown the engine or if you roll and have to kill the engine but need to winch yourself back upright. Just plumb it in in parallel with the main pump- with a non return valve to prevent the main pump spinning it when it is not being used.

Shrek

Thats exactly what I intended to do, but to be realistic and from from what I've read you need about 20 litres per minute flow to get a reasonable speed and I just wasn't getting that and then with a extra weight of the powerpack and the battery I shelved the project, by the way, I think it was Bull Bar Cowboy that did an exellent write up which is still in the tech archives, I learnt a lot from the project however.

Anyway if somebody's interested in the winch I'll dig it out, take some photies and put it in the classified soon.

If you are looking for a bracket to hold a dedicated pump for the Mile Marker and drive pickup for the pump ( based on the pump from Alfred Murray UK) for the TDV6 I am within 2 weeks of fitting mine, the development work and prototypes have been made and the finished unit will be ready next week.

I am not a business or a company I have developed it because I wanted to use the Mile Marker I had in my Rangie and will be willing to make extras should anyone be interested.