Glow plugs

foxminer

Hello all,

i`ve just ordered a new set of glow plugs for my td5 and been told by a mate of mine that they are a bit of a swine to fit. I`ve not done the glow plugs on this model yet and was just wandering if there was any truth in this, so i would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this before i tell the missus " it won`t take long" kind of jobs :P . Thank`s in advance

Foxminer.

their underneath the inlet manifold and their a nightmare to get to most likely your need to take the inlet off you'll need a wobble extention and a ten mm socket and plasters watch when your taking the manifold of the glow plug loom wraps around it

I know it only uses four, so are some "stealers" telling people they need five to make some money. I`ve seen a trader telling somebody on e-blag that they need to buy five plugs for thier td5`s so i e-mailed said seller and told him the td5 only has four plugs. His reply was that he had hit the wrong number on typing, but the funny thing was that he had written the word FIVE in capitals, thats not a typing error in my book.

why are there only four? do the plugs not heat the combustion chambers like any other diesel? which one gets left out?!

cost saving, or maybe they went home early on a Friday afternoon and started something else on the Monday morning :)

I thought I read somewhere about there not being enough room in the head near no.5, no idea if that's 100% accurate though.

Allegedy not enough access space in the head. That is why the TD5 always sounds lumpy on cold mornings until it warms up.

Oh, and the glow plugs stay on until the head is up to temperature too, unlike the 200 & 300 engines where the plugs go off when the starter is engaged. This is supposed to reduce emissions and aid cold running. down side is that the plugs take more of a beating as does the battery.

I remember when a fella came into work and wanted a set of glow plugs for his 300 tdi, no poblem i said - went and got them off the shelf, came back and he says " ive taken the old ones out already, is it ok if i just match them up to make sure they are the same?" no problem i say.

So he pulls a bag out from his pocket and pulls one out, has a look and says "hmm they arent the same mate, look" - to which i turn around and look, and inform him that he's removed his injectors and not his glow plugs...... the look on his face......