TD5 woes

ciderman

Im currently experiencing a few running problems with a TD5 defender , It lost a lot of power , the first thing was to have the electronic bits checked first , It came back with a MAF sensor fault , Fitted new MAF and checked again .

No other faults found and th all clear given , Drove it and then I noticed there was no change so I started to suspect the fuel pump ,I disconected the HP feed into the pressure regulator ,fitted a test pipe to it and then into a clear bottle . Started the pump cycle and noticed the pump was pushing through fuel with a lot of air mixed with it .

Ok Ive now fitted a new pump , checked and double checked the pipes were in the correct order and I still have this airy fuel problem , So I checked the LP circuit back to the pump ,No air with the HP return disconected at the filter and the filter hose tail plugged .

Bypassed fuel to the engine to illiminate fuel cooler ,pressure regulator and cylinder head problems , and still getting air through the HP system .

Im begining to doubt the new fuel pump and thinking of replacing the fuel lines and filter head .

I have also checked the air bleed valve in the filter head .

Im getting near to burning the damn thing ,

Has any one experienced any issues with the fuellines and the filter head or any other likely causes ??????????????????????????????????

is it td5s that have two ecu maps, one for low range, one for high, and the switch gets jammed or dirty or something and saps loads of power?? and there's another switch on the clutch pedal that cuts power? or am i getting confused and it's all on the puma??

whoops. you said air in fuel... ignore me. i'll read the whole thing in future

Change all 5 injector washers (the washers that seal between the fuel rail and the combustion chamber)

Bypassed fuel to the engine to illiminate fuel cooler ,pressure regulator and cylinder head problems , and still getting air through the HP system .

I have recycled the fuel back through the system and isolated the complete engine unit , just to illiminate the injectors, gallery and any oher related components .

is it td5s that have two ecu maps, one for low range, one for high, and the switch gets jammed or dirty or something and saps loads of power?? and there's another switch on the clutch pedal that cuts power? or am i getting confused and it's all on the puma??

correct, correct for td5

but none of them give you air in the fuel.

Jase, if you get to the burning stage i will come and take it off your hands and set fire to it for you off premises, i will send a pic of it burning if you like, presume i can keep the remains!!!!

Sorry cant help

BM solution seems a good place to start (err OK as above not that then)

if it was a fuel pipe wouldnt fuel be coming out rather than air being drawn in on the HP side?

That whats puzzeling me

The only other thing is that one of the pick up pipes in the tank are leaking and will go undetected as they are in the tank .

A friend had loads of similar trouble - lack of power etc. Did all of the things described - new fuel pump, pipework, injector seals etc. In the end it was a porous fuel filter housing found to be the culprit.

I did hear stories of pourus filter heads , I have visualy inspected it and it seems to be ok .

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier was that the air bleed valve was blocked and i did manage to unblock it but the membrane was damaged in the process , i am going to order a new one but if im going to order a filter housing im thinking it may come with the hose tails on with the air bleed valve .

I had similar problem found that fuel filter was slightly loose, and another time found the reason for lack of power was a blue tit had built a nest in snorkel and when I had started up the engine it sucked the nest and the bird's x3 in to the main filter, there is a grill that stopped it going into main filter housing so when I first checked it I missed it.

Peter

Nice tits :(

Got Diesel in the Sump?

Also check the fuel manifold as these to can draw air, no real way of testing other than visual.

We had a similair problem about two years ago, turned out to be a faulty fuel pick up in the pump.

Diagnoised by filling the tank to the brim, problem stopped. Pump replaced, job done.

But with this one? Why? or what makes you think you have air in the system?

TD5's are fuel fussy if they have air they usaully won't run. Start with the basics.

Do not trust diagnostics as GOD, use common sense.

First thing disconnect the air flow meter and test drive and see if problem perists then start on the fuel side.

Does the vehicle crank for an excessive period before starting?

Has the vehicle just had any major work?

Jim

Realising that the Air in the fuel was probably caused by testing and open circuit , I made up a bypass pipe using clear braided hose and two male ends from old td5 fuel pipes .

I inserted the test pipe into the system and ran the pump through its prime cycle , I watched the fuel circulating through the clear pipe , and no air present just nice clean derv.

After a lot of cursing , Further things needed to be checked .

Well tonight its done , and running like a dream .

All down to a blocked Cat . :D:D:D