I Rolled my Landy

TripTrick

Hi There,

Anyone in the Johannesburg West Area that can Help Me recover my Landy I managed to roll Today (19/12/07) :(

It is on it's roof half way up a serious hill. :angry:

My son and I are ok just seriously shaken.

The Vehicle is in the Protea Safari Eco Adventure 4x4 Trail just off Robert Broom Drive in Krugersdorp. I would apreciate any assistance as the recovery would cost a fortune if I call on a Towing Service or the likes.

There are a few Cases of Beers on offer. <_<

Was going up this hill in 1st in Low Range and it stalled.... I pressed the brakes but have to ppump it once before there are any decent brakes... so there was no brakes... I then pulled the hand brake that was working well all sday but failed on this occasion??!

The Landy started picking up alot of speed rolling backward so I did the only thing I could at the time... I turned the wheel hoping it would turn the landy sideways without rolling as the other option of rolling faster and faster down some 300m slope, then rolling, did not appeal to me.

So there I was, Upside down in the Landy my sos poor lip spitting blood and diesel leaking from the newly filled tanks. :(

Oh Well,

If anyone can assist, please call me

082 413 4124

Regards

Allen

i cant help (wrong country)

but why didn't you shove it into reverse? i know these things normally happen quite quick though.

as already said, post up some pics

Thanks, Yes, It was a little too quick.... although that said, it also did feel like slow motion. wierd.

I got hold of some guys I usually go off roading with in the trails...

2 Defenders with winches, one with a hydraulic winch and we should be able to right her. Just worried about all the oils and stuff. Will need to take the Glow Plugs out and crank her to see if there is any oil where there should not be. But would still be very reluctant to start her after such a long time on her roof. Might just try tow her the 20km :huh: home and give her a full work over.

Will take some pics of the (if you can read this, please flip me over) type of bumber sticker. :D

And the Recovery process if anyone is interested, I will post them here.

I only just found out about this - I hope everything works out ok for you.

BTW - I see you have an RD28 engine in there. We have a stuffed Nissan 6 at the workshop - it arrived in the back of a R6 station wagon in bits. There seems to be a block, manifolds and other bits and pieces. No crank or head IIRC.

The R6 was bought by an idiot who paid too much for it - free would have been a good price! We fitted a 3.5 carb V8 into it, and a disk brake kit. None of this was cheap. He would have been better off buying an old Defender.

I only just found out about this - I hope everything works out ok for you.

BTW - I see you have an RD28 engine in there. We have a stuffed Nissan 6 at the workshop - it arrived in the back of a R6 station wagon in bits. There seems to be a block, manifolds and other bits and pieces. No crank or head IIRC.

The R6 was bought by an idiot who paid too much for it - free would have been a good price! We fitted a 3.5 carb V8 into it, and a disk brake kit. None of this was cheap. He would have been better off buying an old Defender.

Well We are still not recovered.

The Chaps that came to assist me Broke a side shaft trying to get above where I rolled so we spent the afternoon Recovering the Defender with a Winch.

So they called in some of the 4X4 Rescue team (Ivan and Bruce) to come look at the situation...

So if you Keen, it seems that 15H00 Tomorrow (Friday) is the time as we are going to attempt the recovery as we need 6 Vehicles at least to do this one...

Will Post Pics so Far Shortly...

Me Pulling the Winch Cable up and out as this Defender Broke one of its rear side shafts comming up the hill behind me on this picture so we had to recover this for the afternoon... I learnt alot thankfully. but My Landy is still on it's head.

post-5694-1198169968_thumb.jpg

Some Other Recovery Pics from today getting the Defender Down This +- 42 deg Hill...

Now I am tired and stiff froim running up and down this hill all afternoon... Gonna Shower, Eat And Hit the Sack...

Try Again tomorrow at 15H00,.... I hope all goes well....

post-5694-1198170099_thumb.jpg

post-5694-1198170129_thumb.jpg

post-5694-1198170160_thumb.jpg

post-5694-1198170180_thumb.jpg

Mmmm... I remember that Landy. Used to belong to a guy who did dive charters. Who did you buy it from ?

Yes, Probably the same Landy... From Pierre D. He took it up to Moz. for Diving. I let him know I rolled it , he was not too impressed as he liked his landy very much.

I will fix her up well again.

Just hope we can get her down from her perch thjis afternoon without too much extra damage.

Yes, Probably the same Landy... From Pierre D. He took it up to Moz. for Diving. I let him know I rolled it , he was not too impressed as he liked his landy very much.

I will fix her up well again.

Just hope we can get her down from her perch thjis afternoon without too much extra damage.

You Dude see you there

You Dude see you there

Howzit Heine,

Thanks....

Also have many more pics of yesterday aswell that I will send to you should you want them.

Will be great to have you there. The 4X4 Rescue crew wanted me to purchase 1.2m Steel Fence Y Standards to knock into the ground to secure the 6 vehicles on top of the mountian so we dont pull down the entire lot... So I have just bought them and now need to cut them at an angle to make it easier to hit into the ground.

More Recovery Pics to follow tonight...

Landy Is Safe and Sound back home.

A Little Battle worn but ok.

The Off-Road Rescue Unit are an incredible bunch of people... Thanks Guys! I cannot believe there is a unit like this. Where do I sign up?

Will Post pics in Morning as I am tired and Dirty and will Write a small section on the recovery, however, pictures speak louder than words.

Great Experience Today...

Thanks

Landy Is Safe and Sound back home.

A Little Battle worn but ok.

The Off-Road Rescue Unit are an incredible bunch of people... Thanks Guys! I cannot believe there is a unit like this. Where do I sign up?

Will Post pics in Morning as I am tired and Dirty and will Write a small section on the recovery, however, pictures speak louder than words.

Great Experience Today...

Thanks

Great Stuff. Yes Ivor and the boys know how to do things. I'd appreciate it very much if you can share some of the images with me for an album on the Overland Forum website: http://overland.co.za

You can email to me in small batches to "hennie.rautenbach[at]gmail.com".

Kind regards,