Battery question

Early90

Hi folks. I finished work early today and decided to fit the shiny new battery that mrs Early90 placed under the Xmas tree for me.......to find it flat as a witches titanium ironing board....petrol pump ran and then starter engaged but engine did not turn at all. I cannot check the battery as i only have a multimeter,so this has left me thinking i have a duff battery......every battery i have bought has been fully charged(i don`t really know that,but i fitted them all and forgot about them) and i know the Bosch warehouse up the road from me charges the varta automotive batteries they hold in stock so why would i receive a flat `un ? I know santa got it posted, do batteries have to be discharged to post? I can get it checked tomorrow but would like your opinions please,anyone bought an optima battery that needs charging from new?

Thanks

John

yup a new battery should be charged, and capable of holding its charge for quite a while. i can't see postage/delivery making any difference.

A multimeter will give you an idea of whats going on, granted it's not a drop meter, but it's good enough. anything less than ~10v is not good news for a 12v battery, especially at rest.

It all depends on the type of battery, when we sell Dry-Cell batteries known as AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) there is no problem sending them fully charged via a normal courier company. These batteries carry a non-hazardous safety ticket which has to be produced upon request. The most common AGM batteries you may come across will be Odyssey, Lifeline and Optima.

If you are sending a wet-cell battery, like a Lead Acid or Calcium-Calcium, then you have a couple of options, you can supply the battery dry (Customer must fill with distilled water and charge upon delivery) but this only works if you battery is an open type (I.e. not sealed for life) Most modern lead acid batteries are now "sealed and maintenance free" which means this option isn't possible. If that’s the case then you have no choice but to send the battery on a pallet so it remains upright and the acid cannot leak. When strapped to a pallet correctly any normal pallet handling company can take it as normal freight.

What type of battery are you having problems with? Make/model would be useful.

Each brand of battery holds its charge for different periods of time, cheap lead acids will only be able to sit on the shelf for about 4-6 months before they need recharging, Lifeline and Odyssey AGM's have the ability to hold their charge for 2 years! I would always make sure the place you buy your batteries gets through a reasonable volume, that way you can ensure you haven't got one thats been sitting around for months on end!!

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for all the replies,very helpful. To answer questions,it`s a red top Optima from Paddocks and it shows 11v . I think i`ll go for a refund rather than a replacement Optima as my confidence in them is a bit shattered. Am i wrong? two duff red tops received by nicksmelly also has made me think............any suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies,very helpful. To answer questions,it`s a red top Optima from Paddocks and it shows 11v . I think i`ll go for a refund rather than a replacement Optima as my confidence in them is a bit shattered. Am i wrong? two duff red tops received by nicksmelly also has made me think............any suggestions?

Personally I wouldn't use Optima, the technology went out with the ark! Both Odyssey and Concorde (manufacturers of Lifeline) were developing that technology in the early 80's, they both dropped the spiral wound cell design because independantly they both realised it was not the way forward! Nice to see Western's got himself some decent batteries! You really can't go wrong with Odyssey, I've got 1x PC2150 under my passenger seat in my 90, running lights and winch plus all the normal vehicle electrics, when I get round to fitting my rear winch I'll fit another PC2150 and have loads of power!!

If the optima is showing 11v its definitely suspect! a new AGM battery should show 12.8-12.9V after a full charge and long resting period (ideally for best results leave to rest for 3-4 hours, yes we are still talking about batteries not cakes!)

Thanks,

Matt