200 tdi discovery engine into series 3

jon hughes

Arnt they changing the ps/alt mounting for a series alt mount and then using a series belt. The pump will trash itself if running dry as an idler.

You can use a series alternator mount, but i beleive you need to space the bracket forwards to run on the front pulley of crank, which is inline with the water pump. unless you use a military double alternator pulley. But that woudl put added leaverage to the alternator bearings.

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I have fitted the Disco engine but I have a question about the power steering pump. What are people doing with the pump, it is easier to leave attached for the drive pulley alignment ?

ive just finished fitting my pas in series 2 109

heres some photos

post-1882-1199131165_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1199131494_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1199131553_thumb.jpg

Arnt they changing the ps/alt mounting for a series alt mount and then using a series belt. The pump will trash itself if running dry as an idler.

as long theres fluid in the pump it wont sez

you don't have to have the steering unit in place

:huh: TWIZZLE :huh:

Er Twizzle - did you check that on full bump the axle wont clout the drop arm? Every other PAS conversion on a series I've seen has had to raise the PAS box up quite alot to allow adequate clearance.

In addition have you re-inforced the front x member at all that we cant see from the photos, as you've cut alot of strength out there, and I cant see where you've put it back in.

Cheers

Jon

In addition have you re-inforced the front x member at all that we cant see from the photos, as you've cut alot of strength out there, and I cant see where you've put it back in.

hello jon

will be cutting a peice of box an welding it on the front under bumper

if thats alright

[quote name='Jon White'

Er Twizzle - did you check that on full bump the axle wont clout the drop arm? Every other PAS conversion on a series I've seen has had to raise the PAS box up quite alot to allow adequate clearance.

yes noticed that will have to ajust that

i was going to fit 1 ton spring hangers on all round

later on

B) TWIZZLE B)

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late now but you can take a mk2 vw golf alternator pully and fit it to the disco alternator as its an extended pully - then use a 50' v belt and omit the power steering pump completley - total cost about £10 - fitting time about 1 hr and the belt lines up perfectly and runs fine

I was going to modify my front crossmember the same as Twizzle to accomodate the PAS box, but I thought it might weaken it by making it so skinny. I also thought about making a dog leg in it so that the external dimensions stay the same. In the end I cut the whole crossmember off and made one to fit 4-inches further forward.

Looks nice and neat though Twizzle :)

Les.

I was going to modify my front crossmember the same as Twizzle to accomodate the PAS box, but I thought it might weaken it by making it so skinny. I also thought about making a dog leg in it so that the external dimensions stay the same. In the end I cut the whole crossmember off and made one to fit 4-inches further forward.

Looks nice and neat though Twizzle :)

Les.

Been modifed since that photo as there was not much room between diffcace

;) TWIZZLE :P

post-1882-1201116627_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1201116727_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1201116857_thumb.jpg

That looks betterer!!! You'll find that this set up works well and transforms the vehicle.

I sugesst you fabricate a braket to pick up the remaining bolt hole on the "ear" on the bottom of the box as it helps prevent it all flexing, and I'm told you run the risk of cracking the casing if you dont run this.

If you use a 6 bolt box then you only need to cut a small wedge out of the crossmember.

Jon

is your trackrod done up in the steering arm? if so it doesn't stick through enough to get the split pin in, which is both a mot failure and dangerous imo.

NO Tonk it's not done up

Im using a diferent steering arm

:unsure: TWIZZLE :unsure: