i'm so disappointed in Land rover

pugwash

Hmmm. I think after 30 odd years of actually owning enough Land Rovers to run into double figures and working on a whole lot more I suppose could be classed as a bit of an enthusiast.

and it doesn't **** you off that landrover could still be one of the most succesful car makers in the world if they just did things a bit better?

and it doesn't tiddle you off that landrover could still be one of the most succesful car makers in the world if they just did things a bit better?

Yes it does - regularly. The products are so right in terms of design (well apart from the D3 which looks like a hearse) and ability, that if they could uprate a few bits here and there where corners have been cut, sort out the silly common problems on the new models, make the assembly quality consistent and better on things like Defenders (e.g. not being able to see daylight through the corners of the doors), and shoot the people who think of stupid wheel-reinventing ideas like electric handbrakes, they could blitz everything else on the market. In many ways it is a shame they hadn't been bought by Toyota rather than Tata and had Japanese work practices imposed on the factory while retaining the design independence that has produced probably the best range of 4x4 vehicles in the world, ever.

Or is just the modern way?

Had to change the alternator on swmbo Arsta over xmas, before you even start to check out the Torx head bolts you have to take off the auxillary belt, which means taking off the off side engine mount!!

sorry OT

but you should try changing the alternator on the old style fiat punto with the isuzu 1.7td :angry:

stooopid thing is located at the bottom of the engine between the bulkhead and block.......

you either have to take off the turbo pipework, airbox and powersteering pump + pipes and lift it up between the engine and bulkhead,

or...

unbolt the nearside suspension, remove drive shaft, remove intermediate drive shaft and carrier bearing assembly and then drop the alt to the floor.

:ph34r:

as for landrover....

they should have been bought by the japs in the 70's. no landcruiser or patrol, no series 3 or defender.......... just the best 4x4xfar that never breaks down and does what it should do offroad.

but being realistic, there is absolutely no reason why the normal quality control systems on a modern production line cannot identify and stop stupid basic manufacturing flaws like shocking panel gaps and terrible build quality, This is down purely to carp work ethics, poor management and union interferance.

the materials are carp too, penny pinching middle management wasters not allowing designers to use the products that are fit for purpose. Another symptom of the great british work ethic.

lockers should have been fitted as standard YEARS ago, the electrics on a LR are basic compared to the competition and spending 10pence more per vehicle on wiring quality would have improved things immeasurably.

i would never buy a new one. all my landrovers have been over 5 years old - about the time when all the poorly built components have been fixed by the previous owner IMHO.

^^^

But if you are talking about panel gaps on Defenders then I don't think 1970's arguments over union ethics, management blah, blah, blah come into it, you really can't compare the vehicle to a modern computer designed one built by robots as the thing is still largely based on something sketched out on the back of a fag packet in the late '40's.

Like I say nothing is perfect.

^^^

But if you are talking about panel gaps on Defenders then I don't think 1970's arguments over union ethics, management blah, blah, blah come into it, you really can't compare the vehicle to a modern computer designed one built by robots as the thing is still largely based on something sketched out on the back of a fag packet in the late '40's.

Like I say nothing is perfect.

Aiy, and even these days with CAD they screw it up still, I couldn't get the connectors onto the crash data recorder on one aircraft as the mechanicals had shot off ahead and got their side designed, produced and fitted, had to then get a company make us some special connector back shells to give us enough room to fit the connectors and then bolt the recorder down, rather than scrap umpteen thousands worth of design and materials. Clever init!

• 1 month later...
Guest WALFY

Jim

As you've had another bout of maintenance on the LardCruiser this weekend I was wondering how it all went ;) .

Another good day in the workshop :P ?

Jim

As you've had another bout of maintenance on the LardCruiser this weekend I was wondering how it all went ;) .

Another good day in the workshop :P ?

no probs- for a 14 year old vehicle it went rather well. 2 small bolts snapped as they were slightly rusted- but other than that all the rest of the bolts came straight out- even the stuf bolts on the turbo heat shield undid no problems. Injectors came out with only a little persuasion- although Toyota didn't make it easy as you can't flip the bonnet all the way back grrrrr

Had i been even an averagely skilled mechanic i could have got the whole lot done in 4 hours maybe (it took me 8 hours of arsing around). need new front bearings, but that's no surprise as they are 14 years and 140,000 miles old! Sidesteps came off in 20 minutes (no rusty bolts here for once), and the sills underneath are pristine! Makes a change from the past 6 RRCs i've had :D

Just got to whip the turbo off, which only marginally needs an overhaul, and then i'm done.

Only concern i came aross was that number 5 injector was absolutely covered in oil- just hope it's nothing too major. The engine doesn't burn much oil anyway so it can't be too bad- will get the cylinders compression tested just to be sure. I'm changing the big end bearkings anyway, so if needs be i'll have the head off at the same time and pop the pistons out and re-ring them!