Which bell housing?

Steve 90

Right about to drag the gear box out of the truck for various reasons. The truck was originally 4 cyl petrol but when I fitted the 200TDI the bell housing to engine bolts would not line up. Being in a hurry I just re drilled the holes where they needed to be. Its far from ideal but its kept things going for 12 months. As the box is coming out I think its the ideal time to sort it. (as long as I dont bite the bullet and stick in a short bell housing R380!!!)

So can anyone tell me what Bell housings will fit a (discovery) 200Tdi to a 1989 defender LT77? Will a N/A Diesel fit? Turbo Diesel? Or will it have to be a 200TDi?

Cheers.

Steve.

Steve , would it be better to change the flywheel housing to a defender one . Then it will marry up with the bell housing .

Im not 100% but will a TD flywheel housing fit the TDI .

Ah, right you are! Maybe thats the problem then. I didn't think the disco and defender fly wheel housings were different. No one mentioned changing them when they have spoken about the conversion. I just thought it was my bell housing that was wrong.

When I originally did mine I was told the the bell housing of the defender would fit the disco fly wheel housing it just needed a dowel moving and taping a thread in one hole (which was already there but just a plain hole) but then I found that the 3 or 4 holes around the bottom part of the bell housing (the long bolt that go through the bell housing, fly wheel housing then into the sump were no where near lining up which is why I think my bell housing is different. All the other holes line up fine except these which go right through into the sump which im sure is the same on a defender. I could be wrong. Someone out there must know!

i could be barking up the wrong tree here but..

When i put a disco 200 in my 90 (lt77) i had to grind the locating dowels off, then remove the bottom 4 studs and drill out and tap the 4 holes that are next to them, after refitting them in the other holes they mated up fine tyo my box, I may have moved another at about 2 o'clock position looking from the rear or the engine although i cant remember, i have my box out currently if you would like me to take a pic of my flywheel houseing and studds i can do if it helps.

Will.

I did a tdi conversion on a N/A 90 about a year ago and did'nt know i had to change the fly wheel housing (was told the same as you was) ended up with the same problem as you have got,none of the bell housing bolts round the bottom would go in!

i ended up taking the engine out again and swapping the fly wheel housing's over and that cured the problem.

i did'nt make the same mistake this time!

Rich

i could be barking up the wrong tree here but..

When i put a disco 200 in my 90 (lt77) i had to grind the locating dowels off, then remove the bottom 4 studs and drill out and tap the 4 holes that are next to them, after refitting them in the other holes they mated up fine tyo my box, I may have moved another at about 2 o'clock position looking from the rear or the engine although i cant remember, i have my box out currently if you would like me to take a pic of my flywheel houseing and studds i can do if it helps.

Will.

Yes please if you could. Do you have 3 (or 4) bolts at the bottom that go right through into the sump rather than just the fly wheel housing.

200Tdi Defender & 200Tdi Discovery flywheel housings must be different as they have different part numbers so my EPC says :D

Yep they are defo different but I thought it was only because of the dowel position, a stud and lack of thread in one hole. Nothing that couldn't be easily sorted.

Basically what im trying to find out is 1 is there a difference between the 4 cyl petrol and Tdi (or TD, N/A) bell housings. and 2 If there is a difference If I get the Tdi bell housing will it bolt up to the Disco Flywheel housing just with the moving of a stud and some dowels or do I need to get the defender fly wheel housing aswell

B****y hell, Ive confused myself now :lol: !!!

Yes please if you could. Do you have 3 (or 4) bolts at the bottom that go right through into the sump rather than just the fly wheel housing.

Hmm now you have me thinking if i have found the reason for my oil leak :lol: i will check tommoro for you.

Just get a defender TD/Tdi / N/a flywheel housing , It will bolt to the back of your Disco lump and the standard Defender lt77 bell housing will bolt straight to it , No need to drill out holes and move dowells .

The bell housing that bolts to your current flywheel housing is the long shaft disco one .

• 5 weeks later...

Right, The bolts I spoke about above that I thought went into the Sump actually go into the back of the bottom ladder section that bolts to the bottom of the block and also doubles up as the main bearing caps. I checked a couple of 200tdi defenders and they had bolts going through the fly wheel housing into this section but then used the normal bell housing studs which is a different setup to both the disco and the earlier TD 90. So I decided to just use some M10 countersunk bolts to bolt the fly wheel housing to bottom of engine using the original Disco holes.

post-1274-1202254080_thumb.jpg

Then tap out the holes in the fly wheel housing that line up with the defender bell hosing and use the normal defender studs to secure it.

post-1274-1202254236_thumb.jpg

Its solid as a solid thing now, the box bolts to the motor as it should and im much happier with this than just relying on the fly wheel housing missing the bottom bolts into the engine.

Yep - thats exactly how I done mine aswell, except i counter bored my flywheel housing and used socket cap headed bolts. I posted it on here ages ago along with some pictures.

Easy to do, especially if like me you dont happen to have a TD flywheel housing kicking about.

Jon

Yep they are defo different but I thought it was only because of the dowel position, a stud and lack of thread in one hole. Nothing that couldn't be easily sorted.

Basically what im trying to find out is 1 is there a difference between the 4 cyl petrol and Tdi (or TD, N/A) bell housings. and 2 If there is a difference If I get the Tdi bell housing will it bolt up to the Disco Flywheel housing just with the moving of a stud and some dowels or do I need to get the defender fly wheel housing aswell

B****y hell, Ive confused myself now :lol: !!!

Flywhell housing 2.5 n/a diesel --- upto Jan 1983 ------------------ ETC7336 [also 2.5TD engine]

--------------------------------- from Jan 1983 ------------------ ERR3920

-------------- Defender 200Tdi upto engine number 60160A ---- ERR1330 [no longer avaliable]

------------------------------------------------- 60161A ----ERR3924

------------- Discovery 200Tdi upto engine number 12L06016A --- ERR675

----------------------------- from -------------- 12L060161A --- ERR3922