more starting problems whet does this light mean

i just went out to start the landy (200tdi) and i get nothing. there is life in the battery, all lights, glow plugs etc work fine. but nothing happens when i turn the key, also there must be power to the starter as the spot lights run off the starter and they are fine. i do get some dash lights comming on

the oil drippy thing comes on, the battery light and the brake light comes on, and the worrying one below the indicator light comes on. it looks like a thermometer in a circle with small flaps comming around the circle. what does this mean. i havnt started it for a couple of weeks so i dont know if that could be the cause. any advice much appreciated.

The small flaps around what looks like a thermometer is an exclamation mark in brackets (I think brake fluid level and on some cars it's also the pad warning light).

Perhaps the connection to the starter solenoid is broken - either at the solenoid or in the ignition switch itself.

Les.

i do but there must be power into the starter as the spots work. so the only problem will be the the earthe. i do have a tester but my main concern is this new warning light that comes on when i turn the key. i can understand it bening the light for the transmission oil temp as bogmonster says as it looks like a thermometer in a cog.

Ok so you have power to the main terminal of the starter (because your spot lights still work and are connected to the starter motor), but do you have power to the small wire that controls the solenoid when the switch is turned to the start position. If not then the motor ain't going to work.

Also the afore mentioned tap on the starter with a hammer whilst trying to start the engine will possibly free up a stuck solenoid or motor brushes causing the starter to work.

HTH

Pete.

the sloinoid is engaging as i took the fuse cover off and i can see the spark. if anyone has seen the warning light before knowing what it means would be amazing. it is getting dark so i will have a good look in the morning. thanks

tonka ---if anyone has seen the warning light before knowing what it means would be amazing. it is getting dark so i will have a good look in the morning. thanks

that symbol is a thermometer in a gear cog & is for the main gearbox temperture overheat warning, have a look on the left side of the gearbox casing, you should fine a alloy casting with a electrical transmitter screwed into the top, thats the temp transmittier that controls the warning light., IIRC it's meant to come on at engine start as a bulb check, then go out once the engine is running.

the symbol is on all pre Defender 90/110 panels & all Defenders with 200Tdi/300Tdi & Td5 engines. sometimes depending on the vehicle spec it's connected other it's not, [mine has the light but it's not connected, '89 110CSW]

You will find that the presence of a spark under the fuse panel is NOT a sign that the solenoid is working. There should be no spark in the fuse panel, if there is then there is a problem there, where the spark is.

The solenoid is the small cylindrical device attached to the starter. The big fat battery wire goes to the big terminal on the solenoid and a smaller wire goes to a male spade connector on the solenoid. There is another fat wire going from the solenoid to the motor. This can be hard to see with the starter in the car.

When you turn the key, a little bit of electric goes to the solenoid where some clever physics mean that a big iron rod moves inside the solenoid engaging the little gear on the starter with the flywheel ring gear on the engine. As the iron rod reaches the end of it's travel it hits a switch and makes a circuit allowing a big bit of electric to flow down the fat wire, through the solenoid and on through the hard to see wire and into the starter. The big bit of electricity then earths back to the battery through the engine casing. the gear casing, the chassis and some wires.

This solenoid can stick - you get no noise - tap with a hammer while an assistant holds the key turned.

The solenoid can fail to make a connection - you hear a big clunk as it moves the gear into place but does not make the circuit for the fat wires - replace the solenoid.

The connection of the small wire onto the starter can become bad - you get no noise - wiggle said wire while a friend holds the key turned.

The engine can lose it's earth - it tries to earth through other components and can make lights light up unexpectedly as the solenoid tries to earth through them - check that all earth connections from the engine to the battery are clean and tight.

You may have a flat battery - unlikely if your lights work - charge the battery.

The fat wire can make a poor connection - unlikely if your lights work - clean and remake the connection..

There may be another fault.

Chris

Guest mortus
....sometimes depending on the vehicle spec it's connected other it's not, [mine has the light but it's not connected, '89... 110CSW]

ive got a '85 defender 90 and it was a TD then got upgraded to 200tdi, and got CSW windows added, this has all of them but theyre not connected, theyre only connected up on the higher spec vehicles.

^^^^ what GBMud put some good advice and points to try there.

trans light comes on due to poor earth maybe? check the earth wires from the block to the chassis, try the hammer with someone holding the key i nthe III position, check 12V at both starter points.

Lastly why do you need spotlights on a starter - surely they would be better on the front of the vehicle...... ;)