chassis crossmember...

simon red90

so i've been thinking about replacing my rather tired and less than round chassis crossmember with an undertray. obviously full width, probably 6mm steel (?), folded at the ends like skis' and with ribbing welded accoss for lateral strength on the inside.

what would the audience think to such an idea?

cheers.

si

Have you seen how much mud the Southdown axle guards hold? I thought not. :) Seriously, it will hold tonnes of muck and be a mare to clean out. Nice idea though.

Chris

kind of thought of that, and i came to the thinking that: diggers have solid belly plates and collects tons of muck in them. now as much as a pig they are, they are quite good at protecting the important bits. i'm not that bothered about the protection element but the sliding over stuff seems to me to be well worth the hassle of having to rip it off to clean the underside properly.

si.

Have you seen how much mud the Southdown axle guards hold? I thought not. :) Seriously, it will hold tonnes of muck and be a mare to clean out. Nice idea though.

Chris

Chris can probably remember when I fitted both a steering and axle guard bought from Southdown to the nas. Beautifully made, the steering guard after 10 years is still there although a bit dented :D

Unfortunately the axle guard was like a large sledge and as soon as the ruts got deeper the nas sat on the mud and refused to go anywhere! The Horsham mob had a quiet word in my ear, since they spent a whole day dragging the nas, well done Chris, :o and offending item removed and sold at Old Sods sortout :lol:

Didn't DarthDicky(?) get a full under tray fitted or was it some one else on here. I think Southdown did that as well. I'm sure there were pics posted on here but can't find them at the moment

We have something similar to what i think you are thinking about on our 90. It isn't a full skid plate as will otherwise keep a lot of heat in from the transmission and the exhaust. It replaces the gearbox cross member, and has tubes and plate to protect the pto which hangs slightly below te chassis. Unfortunately i don't have any photos, but if you PM darth_dicky he will put some up, as pictures say a 1000 words. It does fill up with muck but then it dried under there quite quickly so should cause too much corrosion and it has large drain holes for washng out.

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I remove the lugs that hang down under the chassis and then fabricate a new cross member out of box.

This gives a nice clean underside. I have thought of paneling the underside, but then decided it would probably be more of a hinderence when faced with rocks and stumps.

But thats just an opinion

Jim

Ps: Ask Adrain Turner, he runs a huge alli under tray and i think he loves it

You could make it so that it hinges down at one end to allow removal of some of the mud. If you were.... - actually, if you were me - you would be thinking how cool it would be to have one end drop on hydraulics as a winch plough and for lifting the truck for changing wheels - and a pretty effective security device!

Si