Compressor - what oil?

Les Henson

I've been servicing my compressor today after it seemed to be struggling to start. There's a dipstick arrangement on it and a notice that says to check it every day (that's me forgetting for a couple of years now).

The oil level is right at the bottom of the stick, so I guess that's the reason it was slow to start.

I've checked the piston and bores, cleaned the reed valves, and they are fine, so is there a special oil for compressors or can I bung any half-decent engine oil in there?

Les.

I've been servicing my compressor today after it seemed to be struggling to start. There's a dipstick arrangement on it and a notice that says to check it every day (that's me forgetting for a couple of years now).

The oil level is right at the bottom of the stick, so I guess that's the reason it was slow to start.

I've checked the piston and bores, cleaned the reed valves, and they are fine, so is there a special oil for compressors or can I bung any half-decent engine oil in there?

Les.

Only have experience of 2 Les.

My home 100ltr 3bhp 2 phase requests engine oil, semi synthetic 5w-40

The balls out 500cfm diesel driven screw comp at work asks for ATF in the pump.

les becarful dont run it when its slow to start as our works one has bolwn two motors due to this is i slow to start with no pressure or just when it has pressure in system if its how with pressure its the relife vaule that alows the compressor tp start off load

i've allwes run my compressor on milking machine compressor oil

witch i buy from mole vally farmers. milking machine compressor is a vacum pump buy ive not had any problems mine you you'll have to ask the f***ing w****r that pinch my first one if he's had any problems <_<

When I say it's slow to start - I would press the red button on the top and it would crank a couple of times and then stop - with a straining noise coming from the motor. If I repeatedly turn it on and off it eventually starts and seems fine once it's warm.

Les.

That definitely sounds like air trapped in the pipe between the non-return valve (NRV) and the outlet valve in the pump. When you stop it with the red button do you get a hissing sound?

It should last about a second, much longer the NRV could be leaking.

I went to the local Hewden plant hire place for exactly the same question and he gave me hydraulic oil, used for diggers and stuff, because its bio-degradable, he said it was the only thing they use on their compessors, the type for heavy road breakers and stuff, cheers Brian

I went to the local Hewden plant hire place for exactly the same question and he gave me hydraulic oil, used for diggers and stuff, because its bio-degradable, he said it was the only thing they use on their compessors, the type for heavy road breakers and stuff, cheers Brian

Plant compressors are screw type and use Hyd32 oil , Workshop compressors are usualy Piston type and The same principle of an engine , So I would use a quality engine oil in this type.

i've allwes run my compressor on milking machine compressor oil

witch i buy from mole vally farmers. milking machine compressor is a vacum pump buy ive not had any problems mine you you'll have to ask the f***ing w****r that pinch my first one if he's had any problems <_<

Mine did this a new nen return valve sorted it out.

Keith