8274 brake pawl (?)

Michele

i've pinned both of my freespools so they cant be used/pop out, popped out on a comp once when i was half way up steep climb, the brake on the winch held me ok but the freespool just wouldn't re engage (remember Ali?). had to use another truck from behind me and snatchblock around to get a front pull on it, PITA so i pinned them.

i've pinned both of my freespools so they cant be used/pop out, popped out on a comp once when i was half way up steep climb, the brake on the winch held me ok but the freespool just wouldn't re engage (remember Ali?). had to use another truck from behind me and snatchblock around to get a front pull on it, PITA so i pinned them.

Oh yeah I remeber that day well :huh:

Erm,OK sorry...what I meant is I try not to "bump" the winch motor,

I spool the cable back on the drum (using the motor) a bit more than necessary,

then manually freespool as long as needed to hook the cable and leave it tensioned (not hanging loose).

Being the 8274 fast (and it tends to overrun) I feel this is a safer way...

But it's just me!

:)

P.S.

I hope it makes more sense now...!

Don't worry about solenoid life, that would like not using your brakes to save your pads ;)

IMHO most solenoids die of water and rust not overuse.

Don't forget, when stowing your cable the motor is under no load so the solenoid is not working so hard anyway.

(Oh, and I think Jimbo's 8274 overruns about 10 feet you just have to allow for it!)

Really?

:)

Good to know.

As to bumping the motor...on the LRE forum (or maybe here?) someone wrote

this was a good way to kill the solenoids on the long run...?

Is it so?

I'm not really skilled in electric things.

:rolleyes:

Michele,

Wot you need is Albrights, Then bumping is no longer a problem :P

I know someone how keeps these.......... :huh:

Will speak soon

Jim :)

Am currently working on a freespooling 8274 drum

Prototypes are going into use in approx two weeks.

Can't say to much, but it will cure lots of niggles and problems

Involes complete replacement of drum assey and end plate.

Just finalizing different types to try.

Oh, and it will

Rock! :D

Ps:

Anyone whos intrested please mail, be intrested to hear your veiws and wot you are looking for.

Ehu...sorry...you do or not recommend it then?

I have 2 shafts anyway...

:huh:

I definitely recommend using an R-clip to prevent jumping out of gear.

I was doubting the suggestion that they are meant to jump out of gear as protection against overload.

Am currently working on a freespooling 8274 drum

Prototypes are going into use in approx two weeks.

Can't say to much, but it will cure lots of niggles and problems

Involes complete replacement of drum assey and end plate.

Just finalizing different types to try.

Oh, and it will

Rock! :D

Ps:

Anyone whos intrested please mail, be intrested to hear your veiws and wot you are looking for.

I'm modifying my 8274's to freespool drums, but won't be finished anywhere as soon as you - just have too much work and too little spare time for my many projects.

My approach is to cut the drive side boss from the drum. The final drive gear is splined to this boss and it includes the journal that runs in the bearing bush fitted to the gear case.

A new shaft is then fitted to the boss so that it extends through the new drum. The new drum is free to rotate on bearings on this shaft.

A pneumatic operated sliding spline clutch mechanism similar to, but much stronger than a freewheeling hub, on the opposite side to the drive gear, is used to engage/disengage the drum to the shaft.

Very similair to wot we have in mind.....

Are you using pegs or dogs to reconnect ???

This what we are testing at present (To check strength if not locked in correctly)

The drum we feel needs to be under tesnion to stop over run, and we've got that sussed.

The big problem trying to make it for a price we can all afford :D

Very similair to wot we have in mind.....

Are you using pegs or dogs to reconnect ???

This what we are testing at present (To check strength if not locked in correctly)

The drum we feel needs to be under tesnion to stop over run, and we've got that sussed.

The big problem trying to make it for a price we can all afford :D

The sliding dog has internal splines to the shaft and external splines to the drum.

I expect very little over run because of the hydraulic drive.

The other thing I am considering is a brake disc on the drum - need to find a suitable caliper.

A New Zealander has made a few of these free spool drum conversions for 8274 winches and by all reports they work very well. His winches have been succcesful in some tough winch challenges over there. I haven't seen one or any pics.

Apparently he has changed jobs and is not making them any more.

John,

For the caliper and disc conversion check out Paul Wightmans, It's very nice.. :P Uses the clutch pedal to operate (His motors an auto)

Think It is in the archive under 8274????????? Tony????

I think you misunderstand wot i mean about over run.

I actually mean about the drum over running when in freespool!

Yeh, i'm serious.

Speak soon

Jim, I'll be interested in one of your drums. I've got a few other bits I want to sort first and I want to do a few other things to the 8274 at the same time (mainshaft, full rebuild, shim the gears and possibly something naughty on the motor front too) so it'll probably be a couple of months into next year before I can get round to it. I'd also want to do a drum brake off the side of the drum. Its been on the to do list for quite a while now. I'll have to have a word with you soon about it, I know roughly how I'd do it but it depends on the final design of your drum and endplate.

Edited to add, I'd been thinking about disk brakes before Paul did his. I'd come to pretty much the same conclusions as him; its the most elegant and effective way of doing the conversion. The only thing that would be nice is if you could mount the calliper from the endplate......

Edited by will_warne

John,

For the caliper and disc conversion check out Paul Wightmans, It's very nice.. :P Uses the clutch pedal to operate (His motors an auto)

Think It is in the archive under 8274????????? Tony????

I think you misunderstand wot i mean about over run.

I actually mean about the drum over running when in freespool!

Yeh, i'm serious.

Speak soon

Thanks Jim,

I saw pauls thread on the old site - I was impressed with his mods/solutions.

In a previous job, I used to design large (up to 90 tonne payload and 4m/sec winding speed), single and double drum winders, friction winders and haulage winches for mines. They all used regenerative and or dynamic braking and had disk emergency/holding brakes on the drums.

I need to find a suitable caliper that I can source locally - just haven't had time to do much looking yet.

I hadn't considered the drum overunning in freespool!