wheel bearing suppliers

80INCH

Hello I am new here!

I am rebuilding the swivels on my 53 series one 80...had it 12 years. Now I have read some of the diy guides on here which were somewhat helpful but mini is a little different.. Tracta joints etc..

I just wanted to ask if anyone has used those cheap wheel bearings that cost about £7 each from craddocks/paddocks? I really need to replace them but money is tight at the moment and the timken ones which were fitted are rather expensive at £19 the outter and £25 the inner.. + vat :ph34r:

also.. those cheap swivels you can buy from same suppliers, how long will they last before bubbeling up? i imagine the chrome is rather thin.

thanks

james :rolleyes:

I've completely rebuilt both axles on a 1957, 86" S1, so I know what you mean.

Ask Paddocks or whoever you ring what make the bearings are - Timken are a very good make.

As for the chrome swivels - unless you can get old stock, the chroming process is now banned in this country and new swivels now will be teflon coated, so dark grey/black in appearance.

Les.

Hi, not sure if its any use but I've got everything needed to completely rebuild the steering parts of a series axle - all new, never used. Bearings, swivels, gaiters, bushes, swivel pins even genuine new swivel housings. The bearings have already been pressed into the new swivels. Not sure if it fits yours, but I'll let them it all go for a decent price if you can use it?

Cheers, Al.

I was on the phone to dunsfold friday, just phoned for prices but then just ordered the lot. Only the wheel bearings were in an allmakes box, and are zwz made in china! They will be returned. Took a trip to essex county bearings and they are more expensive then the dealer,, so guess where i'm going. Gonna be cheeky and ask for discount as well.

thank you for your advice.

I now have something called railko bearings? I wanted to use the origional cone setup but that was rather expensive as parts are getting rare. They any good?

You will only be able to use the original or the Railko conversion. Railko bushes were used after the S1-type spline/spring arrangement right through to when they were replaced by taper roller bearings on the early 90/110's.

Have you got original axles on the front and rear? Wait until you have to do the rear wheel bearings - now that's a laugh! :rtfm:

Les.

Well, all parts fitted. With the railko conversion kit i had to replace the pins in the top steering arms from the splined type to the railko plain type.

Fumbled my way through it but its now done, lets hope i shimmed it up correctly. road test time tomorrow! They are the origional axles, I did the rears last year. Not to hard, I had an engineering shop do it for me.

yes jimfoo, the first 80's had taper roller bearings top and bottom to start with anyway, so could also go that way in the future.

cheers guys. james.

I have used BSL in the UK on numerous occaisions for all manor of bearings and belts.

If you can measure the bearing accurately then the link below will enable you to search for the bearings.

The accept joe public purchases so you can ring your local branch to order and pay etc.

http://genius.bsl.co.uk/paramsearch.cgi?tr...amp;language=EN

Hi 80inch i have used paddocks for the past 10yrs during that time i have owned 2 series3s 1series2a and restored 2series 3s for mates and restored my own series 2a all have had new wheel bearings and as far as i now all these vehicles are still running fine and its only me that touches them

• 6 years later...