colway/greenway?

miketomcat

does anyone know what the score is with c-tryes as in the not to distant future i'll be looking to replace my greenway machos (33"x12.50"/16"). i'm wanting more of the same but not sure if i'll be able to get any

mike

A mate in the trade told me a few months ago that Colway had gone bump, & his place was startingto buy Insa Turbo's in. He said the Insa build quality looked better than the Colways.

HTH

as far as i remember they didnt go bust as such, the owners of their premises wouldnt let them onto the site one day for whatever reason so they literally werent able to produce their tyres. whether that led to going bust or what i dont know, but i thought they were back on the go again

insa's are supposedly better quality but have a smaller range of tyres due to them only using one particular carcass for them, some michelin one iirc

and of course theyre a bit more spendy

Just done a "Yahoo! is you friend" search. Appears C-Tyres have been bought by a Polish company. Manufacturing probably going to Poland as well (this was from last week).

C-tyre news

doesn't look like i'll be able to get any when i want them might have to start looking for alternatives any ideas i do like this pattern it the best i've tried so far plus there not to expensive

mike

Mike,

Insa do the same pattern. IIRC it's called the Dakar, but I honestly couldn't tell you whether they do them in your size.

As far as the quality goes, I don't think that the Insa's are better. My Turbos have seemed to get cuts/scrapes pretty easily wheras the Machos I had on the old Range Rover seemed to go on forever. Ask Dan (Mr Bertha)..... he sold them to me!!! In fact, they will be coming out of retirement today!!

HTH

Adrian

these are the sizes that paddock spares stock

235/70R16 Insa Turbo Dakar Tyre Only - WHEELS AND TYRES

235/70R16ITDAK

£38.50 ex VAT

235/85R16 Insa Turbo Dakar Tyre Only - WHEELS AND TYRES

235/85R16ITDAK

£48.50 ex VAT

265/75R16 Insa Turbo Dakar Tyre Only - WHEELS AND TYRES

265/75R16ITDAK

£52.50 ex VAT

these are the sizes that paddock spares stock

235/70R16 Insa Turbo Dakar Tyre Only - WHEELS AND TYRES

235/70R16ITDAK

£38.50 ex VAT

235/85R16 Insa Turbo Dakar Tyre Only - WHEELS AND TYRES

235/85R16ITDAK

£48.50 ex VAT

265/75R16 Insa Turbo Dakar Tyre Only - WHEELS AND TYRES

265/75R16ITDAK

£52.50 ex VAT

the size i'm looking for is either 285/75r16 or 305/70r16 and i would like the macho pattern as i have one new one as a spare and don't really want to waste it

mike

the size i'm looking for is either 285/75r16 or 305/70r16 and i would like the macho pattern as i have one new one as a spare and don't really want to waste it

mike

the pattern originated with yokohama, i think they just call it the MT. so a yokohama dealer will be able to ge them for you. i expect you'll be into bfg money as they are not remoulds, but perhaps you will get a longer life out of them as a result. i have the same tyres as you on a 110 and they have proved excellent both on and off road. my only gripe with them has been their longevity. not quite in the same league as bfg et al. they do, however cost much less. largest yoko imports are 33's in 33 12.50 r15 or 285/75 r16. in the states they go up to 35's.

another similar tread is the maxxis trepador. i don't know if they're available here and they may only be made in bigger sizes. you could ask around.

have you tried sowden tyres? that's who i got my 'machos' (i won't be sad to see that name go, the ammount of ribbing i have had for my 'macho gayriders'...) from.

if you get yokos, be sure to update on their wear characteristics. that's the only gipe i have with the machos, otherwise i consider them an excellent tread design and would be happy to pay the extra for longer lasting ones.

it's wound me up because theyre one of very few companies to sell their 16inch large tyres for about the same price as their 15 inch ones.

i've been looking for a 255/85R16 (only cooper and bfg) so i started looking at other sizes 285/75 or the macho even comes in a 33/12.5R16 for the princely sum of 62 quid a corner which is what. a 315?

unfortunately i wouldnt be able to get away with them on my 7inch wide rims so not on my alloys or my steels. been struggling to find a 33/9.5 or a 33/10.5R16 anywhere

may just end up on 265/75s but if im cutting my arches for flares i might as well put proper sized tyres in them

would go to 15s and fit kumho kl71s as i think theyre a brilliant all round tyre, but i dont especially want to go to a 15

:(

if i were you i'd try getting a colway one sooner rather than later, some people will still have them in stock, and when thay wear out you'll know weather colway are still going.

Tim

it's wound me up because theyre one of very few companies to sell their 16inch large tyres for about the same price as their 15 inch ones.

i've been looking for a 255/85R16 (only cooper and bfg) so i started looking at other sizes 285/75 or the macho even comes in a 33/12.5R16 for the princely sum of 62 quid a corner which is what. a 315?

unfortunately i wouldnt be able to get away with them on my 7inch wide rims so not on my alloys or my steels. been struggling to find a 33/9.5 or a 33/10.5R16 anywhere

may just end up on 265/75s but if im cutting my arches for flares i might as well put proper sized tyres in them

would go to 15s and fit kumho kl71s as i think theyre a brilliant all round tyre, but i dont especially want to go to a 15

:(

my 285/75's are marked as 33 12.50r16's. they are only 285 wide and have survived several thousand miles on 7" rims.

Mike, this topic came up yesterday when I met up with a friend who does an aweful lot of rallying. Colway used to produce the control tyres but since they went bump they've been having to use van tyres. His father also helps organise a lot of events and they are looking at differant manufacturers to for next season. They're not holding their breath that colway will come back in any shape or form.

As far as your tyres go, Yokohamas are very nice but are about twice the price of the Machos. On the plus side they do do a 35" tyre...........

would you not say that they are too pinched with them being a good 2 inches or so wider at the shoulder than they are being made to be at the bead?

cheers

jim

my tyres are marked up as 33/12.50r16 but they measure out at 285 and they are on 8" rims

re yokohama i can't find anyone on the net in the uk that do any bigger than 265/75r16 plus they ain't cheep

colway have been bought out by a polish company and as there other remould maufactures out there theres still some hope

looks like i'm going to be ringing around then

mike

my tyres are marked up as 33/12.50r16 but they measure out at 285 and they are on 8" rims

re yokohama i can't find anyone on the net in the uk that do any bigger than 265/75r16 plus they ain't cheep

colway have been bought out by a polish company and as there other remould maufactures out there theres still some hope

looks like i'm going to be ringing around then

mike

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifendirekt....nstig=&m_s=

might work, search mytyres.co.uk they're £146 a corner there...ouch

might have to get on the dog and bone to yokohama or some other tyre retailers. google search didn't take long to end up back at this thread.

285's are cool on 7" rims. i've seen them on a few occasions on wolf rims which are 6.5". if you look for ihana.com or something to that effect, they ran around south america for 20000 odd miles in a 110 shod with bfg muds in 285 size on wolf rims. i think the tyres eventually wore out or something. i don't really recall. pinched tyres are not so good fo hadcore road handling, but i've neverhad any issues. stops from dingin' the rims i suppose. also avoids that 80's vitara look