Torque converter

Petergg

I don't know if Ashcrofts do this but if they don't I should think they could point you towards somebody that did? May also be worth asking the tuning companies like Fearn etc as they must have the problem with twiddled Td5s I would think.

I don't know if Ashcrofts do this but if they don't I should think they could point you towards somebody that did? May also be worth asking the tuning companies like Fearn etc as they must have the problem with twiddled Td5s I would think.

Ashcrofts did one for me. Actually, they farmed it out to someone they use, but my dealings were with Ashcrofts. I asked them to lower the stall speed and that is what they did. Now when you press the pedal it goes and doesn't just sit there revving!

Can't remember the cost, but it was less than 200 quid.

Tid

Thanks.

I had a word with Dave (Ashcroft) and he is going to sort one for me, the one I have at the moment is a std TD5 one from a Disco but I am taking my box out soon for a overhaul as the oil got a tad hot in France last week so might as well do that all at the same time.

They have the upgrade on Ashcrofts website , they did the box for me a couple of years ago with larger clutch packs and oil pump etc and it has been very good, but like every thing in this trade things move on.

Peter

JPat re-manufacture torque converters: http://www.jpat.co.uk/productsandservicestorque.htm

Anyone know the standard stall speeds for the different ZF TCs?

I guess a lower revving engine with lower torque band would want a slower stall speed, any downsides of lowering from standard? I guess more torque going through the box at a lower line pressure?

There seems to be lots of choice of stall speed for the yank auto boxes but little info for the ZFs?

What's the best stall speed for different engines / applications?

Hi,

TomG, yes the lower the torque the lower the stall speed, if you go too low you get too much 'creep' and it gets harder to hold on the brakes but you also get more vibration in drive at standstill as the engine/converter is trying to drive but you are holding it on the brakes,

also as you mention the clutch packs have increased load at lower RPM but this brings me onto the Compushift, you can just raise the pressures at the press of a button,

Bogmonster, (addmittidly I am a little biased ! ) the 'compushift' is brilliant, allows you to totally 'tune' the transmissions, when it shifts, at what pressures, when it locks up, tiptronic control Etc.

This is a massive step forward for us autobox boffins !

Dave,

So can the compushift lock up the TC in low range 1st to get some darned engine braking to stop hill descents being quite so "entertaining"? :blink:

Now that would be a cool thing to have - could almost end the manual vs auto debate!!