dodgy battery or something else?

hi guys

i have had a prob with the 110 2.5 N/A diesel not starting very easily - had put it down to a battery being on the way out - so bought a new one and still found it difficult to start! after jump leading to a range rover it starts no probs - could the new battery be needing charged?? any ideas??

cheers! ;-)

hi guys

i have had a prob with the 110 2.5 N/A diesel not starting very easily - had put it down to a battery being on the way out - so bought a new one and still found it difficult to start! after jump leading to a range rover it starts no probs - could the new battery be needing charged?? any ideas??

cheers! ;-)

There are many ways to test the condition of a battery. This can be done with expensive instruments, or with simple low-tech solutions....

One of these low-tech solutions require only the use of a voltmeter

1: First take a reading of the voltmeter connected across the battery - with the engine swithed off. If the battery is fully charged this should be around 12,5 volt.

2: Then take a reading of the voltmeter connected across the battery - with the engine running at about 2000rpm. If the alternator is charging correctly it should read 14,2 volt (-/+ 0,5 volt)

3: Swith the engine off, disconnect the power to the fuel cut-off solenoid, then run the starter for about 5 to 6 seconds. Then take another reading of the voltmeter connected across the battery. If the voltage has dropped significantly more than 0,5 volt (in reference to the first measurement, then the battery has lost its capacity and should be replaced.

cheers guys

bogmonster

whats the best way to test the glow plugs?

the only thing that makes me wonder about the battery is that with a jump start it started no bother so made me wonder if it was simply a prob with the battery?

or would the glowplugs still be an issue?

cheers! ;-)