Blue smoke!! help!

wadey

:( Hi I am am new to the landrover scene , and even newer to the diesel scene , have recently purchased a landrover 90 2.5 TD which am very happy with,

I have noticed blue smoke poping out of th exhaust whilst ticking over , also more whilst in gear coming down hills withfoot of the accelerator, can any one shed any light on this , dont notice it nuch whilst in normal driving , is it possible turbo trouble??

appreciate anyhelp!!

Wade

Yea I agree with Jim, 2.5 N/A's and TD's are prone to wearing and thus burning oil. It will run fine but do keep and eye on it and replace air filter regularly as it will get contaminated with oil. In the long run as Jim suggests you will probably need to have the engine re-built or stick a 200tdi from a discovery into it. It's a very simple conversion, there are loads of threads on it and it can be done with relatively little mechanical know-how (just so long as you persevere with it). Over here it works out about £500 - £600, not sure what that is in euros :huh:, it makes a massive difference to performance and reliability.

Hope that’s of help :rolleyes:

Cheers

Tom

Most likely the timing is simply retarded.

Blue smoke on a diesel on overrun happens when the timing is retarded. Adjust the timing and I bet it is all better.....

Engine oil consumption does not give blue smoke on a diesel, that is for petrol engines. On a diesel, blue means unburnt fuel or oil. This can only happen if the fuel is injected too late or if it is getting in after the cylinder such as exhaust valves or turbo seals. However, your description of smoke only on idle and overrun is exactly what happens when the timing is retarded (injecting too late).

Great thanks for the advise will obviously get someone to check out the timing first , then if not look out for a throw away disco 200 tdi, which I was thinking of looking in to at a later date , plenty of uk reg cars practically given away out here!

Engine oil consumption does not give blue smoke on a diesel, that is for petrol engines. On a diesel, blue means unburnt fuel or oil. This can only happen if the fuel is injected too late or if it is getting in after the cylinder such as exhaust valves or turbo seals. However, your description of smoke only on idle and overrun is exactly what happens when the timing is retarded (injecting too late).

Eh? :blink:

link

link

link

thx again for the advice all!!, naturally i'm going to check the timing first!, no evident oil loss since oil change a couple of months ago, is the timing on a diesel something for a mechanic?, or something a fairly competant diy mech like myself could undertake!, havent dissed the other advise of more major engine work yet !

cheers Wade

thx again for the advice all!!, naturally i'm going to check the timing first!, no evident oil loss since oil change a couple of months ago, is the timing on a diesel something for a mechanic?, or something a fairly competant diy mech like myself could undertake!, havent dissed the other advise of more major engine work yet !

cheers Wade

By the book, you are suppose to use the timing pin set. You can buy these from a few places, or find someone local.

However, with these pumps, you can just advance it a little and see. Scribe a line on the pump and timing housing, so that you know where you started. Loosen the pump bolts a little (3 on timing housing and one at back of pump). Rotate a couple of mm (counter-clockwise as viewed from the front of the car) and tighten up. If it is too advanced, you will hear excessive pinging under load and it will not want to rev as freely. Just be carefull and adjust to what seems right. If it is too advanced, it will be hard on the engine.

Might have to have a look at my timing as i have the same symptoms with some blue smoke on idle and lots on overrun. but i would be more inclinded to say worn stem seals or turbo seal as its a 170k engine

Might have to have a look at my timing as i have the same symptoms with some blue smoke on idle and lots on overrun. but i would be more inclinded to say worn stem seals or turbo seal as its a 170k engine

I have similar on cold startup of my TD5, blue smokes a little and then is fine...

Is this likely to be oil ingress through valve oil seals? Its done nearly 150k...

Jamie