Tyre choice again?

Sorry to dig this up again!

I've dicovered that I'm using the 110 a whole lot more that I had expected or planned when I bought it 3 months ago - almost a daily driver now :-) I'm foing quite a bit of on road use as opposed to my original 50/50 plan.

I was going to buy bfg MT's in the 255/85/16 guise to go on my new genuine wolf rims, off being painted as we speak.

My current wheels have mihelin 235/85/16 4x4 off road tyres fitted and these are very noisy - considering this I assume the bfg's will be noisy too, so was considering trying the kuhmo kl71's.

They are only available in 235 or 265 sizes, as are bfg at's.

Will the wolf rim accomodate the 265 tyre of should i stick t the 235? The 110 has a 2" lift and the 235's look a bit feeble under the arches.

Anybody running 265's on these rims.

Thanks, Steve

I don't run Wolf rims but do run 265/75/16 BFG AT's on alloys and find them noiseless on the road and excellent off it.

Many have reported very low noise levels on BFG MT's too, so I guess that's a matter of personal choice.

265's fill the arches better, but that would also be determined by the wheel offset.

Consider the tyre height too. 255's have a taller sidewall and would benefit your gearing a little more for road use..

I was going to buy bfg MT's in the 255/85/16 guise to go on my new genuine wolf rims, off being painted as we speak.

considering this I assume the bfg's will be noisy too,

I've 255/85 BFG MTs on wolfs.

Slightly noisier than my previous AT pattern but not intrusive at all. I've them on my daily driver. Good on and off road- very happy with them :)

BFGs are quieter than you may expect.

I don't notice the ATs at all and have minimal noise that never bothered me when using MTs everyday including on the motorway.

By contrast I've heard several other MTs that are much worse.

I only use BFGs now unless I need a really aggressive tyre like a Simex. The 255/85/16 BFG MT is a great all-round tyre.

Richard

Wolfs are 6.5 inches wide, so from a technically correct point of view, are too narrow for a 265 tyre.

Remember that the 265/75 x 16 tyres are the same overall diameter as the 235/85 x 16 tyres, with the 255/85 x 16s being an inch or more taller.

However, both 235s and 255s can be fitted to 6.5 inch rims.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/mud-t...-a-km/1152.html

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

I used to run BFG 235/85 on Boost alloys (8 inch wide I think) and now run KL71s in 265/75 and find them much better on the road, perhaps the extra width helps. Off road the KL71 appears to self clean better but to be honest I would be hard pushed to choose between them

Alright I had the KL71s cause they look better but if I could not see them I would still go for them again, noise wise I would say they are the same ( enough other noise in a 90 any way )

• 2 weeks later...