Winch Ropes

TJ101

"Ps: Please anyone who is breaking ropes regularly, look at your bumpers and fairleads, then at your winching techique.

There is a reason for breaking ropes and usually it is something simple like a sharp edge in your bumper, angle of the dangle, or damage to the rope itself, always pays to check just to be certain."

Good on yer Jim, top grade advice and bl**dy common sense, shame so few people have it. By the way your SS was far better than the comedy due of Jase and Lard, best laugh we had all day...

Can't be my "winching technique" the Hobbit gave me a piece of paper that says he taunt me it all :P

I bought the budget rope from Winch Solutions (£125 including fairlead for 100ft of 9.5mm). I broke it after 4 days marshalling (mostly straight clean pulls) and 1 challenge event.

Sent it back to Winch Solutions - they told me I hadn't pre-stretched it properly and bless-their-customer-service-minded-hearts replaced it for me with an ex-display item.

I'm now looking at buying a whole roll (200m) of 11mm Marlow Dynaline, as sold by Sc$%*ion R&$%*g. Can get some good trade prices through my work - comes down to about £160 all in for a 100ft rope.

Would apericate other thoughts on my failure though. On a cheapy 12,000lb winch, so probably not making that figure. Used in very muddy conditions, but aways washed, only on the challenge did I pull it against anything. Loads of straight pulls, but not much dragging, angled etc.

By the way your SS was far better than the comedy due of Jase and Lard, best laugh we had all day...

I do believe that was CLASSIFIED marshals privileged information David, and a tad hard, prob best not to rub it in!

Anyway DRD on Sun if your interested?

What was so hard with the SS. Drive on a bearing punch the clicker move onto the next one :P

The inability within out team to use a compass :)

and in fact the PP ability to punch the sodding box correctly

cost us 50points and 10th place

we found 3 and I punched only 2

I do believe that was CLASSIFIED marshals privileged information David, and a tad hard, prob best not to rub it in!

Anyway DRD on Sun if your interested?

Spoil sport!

James, I will let you into a secret. Sunday is Mothering Sunday AND my mother in laws 70th birthday. If I were to event THINK about spending Sunday enjoying myself I would be on baby duty until Daisy is eighteen - by wich time I will be knocking on the door of 60! Enjoy your playboy like existence while you can and thing of me stuck in a pub having lunch with my mother, mother in law and wife, my brow beaten step father and my still rebelling (after 44 years) father in law for company and my daughter being spoiled rotten by all and sundry so one will be bouncing off the walls and the other will be filling nappies, for Daddy to change, like a small pooing machine...

A DRD should be on Fathers Day

The inability within out team to use a compass :)

and in fact the PP ability to punch the sodding box correctly

cost us 50points and 10th place

we found 3 and I punched only 2

Dont be so hard on yourself Tony , We were 10th , You were 9th ,

We did realy s***e To the amusment of Mr Hobbit . I thought my co driver had short legs but he strided out the 70 odd meters and nearly ended up in Exeter . :lol:

We have had words and everything is ok now , :lol:

It was an SS for co drivers .