Winch Ropes

TJ101

I have just bought 120ft of 12mm for the front "Thingy" from Andy T at ruftrax and he was very generous on the deal

Not only that but he took the time to ensure what I wanted, ...........

I thought I might have had 14mm on the front which needed replacing ,

he asked me to cut n post a bit too him, ..........and identified it as 12mm....... that when used hard and fluffy does look 14mm :)

Saved me money all round really,.......... well worth a call, .........if he has it in stock it will be with you muchopronto with all the F about :)

Nige

PS Ta Andy :)

Hi Guys,

I am surprised that a standard 8274, with a max pulling power of 8000lbs on the first layer, would break 9.5mm Plasma, good for 17500lbs!

This is over twice the stall of a standard unit - whatever have you been up to!!!

You roughty toughty off-roaders never cease to surprise me!

Andy-T.

Hmmm...I've heard of this mysterious stuff called 'plasma rope' but never actually come across any. I'm intrigued as to what it actually is...

I come from a sailing background so I have a little knowledge on ropes. How does plasma rope stand against stuff used on boats such as Dyneema and Vectran - both supposed to be uber strong. Dyneema has a similar breaking strain to wire of the same thickness, and Vectran is stronger still...

Hmmm...I've heard of this mysterious stuff called 'plasma rope' but never actually come across any. I'm intrigued as to what it actually is...

I come from a sailing background so I have a little knowledge on ropes. How does plasma rope stand against stuff used on boats such as Dyneema and Vectran - both supposed to be uber strong. Dyneema has a similar breaking strain to wire of the same thickness, and Vectran is stronger still...

James,

Also used Dyneema and Vectran, which is a brand name of Marlow ropes, use them for halyards and sheets

Plasma is a brand name,, for a make of Synthetic rope,, which Andy-T above distributes see See here

Hi Guys,

I am surprised that a standard 8274, with a max pulling power of 8000lbs on the first layer, would break 9.5mm Plasma, good for 17500lbs!

This is over twice the stall of a standard unit - whatever have you been up to!!!

You roughty toughty off-roaders never cease to surprise me!

Andy-T.

Andy my rope only 4 events old always washed out carefully and stored out of the way of UV

broke on Sat a few times and has broken previously. maybe 12mm would be the more ideal?

I emailed you direct for some info/advice.

Have a look at this as well Here

Hmmm!

Yes I have had a look at this line.

It has been around for some time.

I suppose it all comes round to what you want from a synthetic winch line.

Price, durability, ease of use, track record etc.

Strength is not the most important issue with a line used in our application, now I know that this sounds a little strange and not what you would expect to hear from me, but just think for a moment.

The majority of vehicle mounted winches are rated at between 9 - 12,000lbs, so they will stall out on the first layer in brand new condition at a claimed figure somewhere in this region, always assuming that the system , be it electic or hydraulic, is sufficently robust to handle the equipments demands.

So, tell me, why have a line rated at 2 -4 times the stall figure?

I will tell you - none of the lines I have ever supplied have died of old age!!!

They all die young. so they must be good!

Miss handling, tiddle poor equipment installation, abrasion damage due to rocks, and any other sharps they come into contact with.

Neglect - wash the damn things out after they have been drowned in mud and clag that would destroy any other serviceable vehicle part - cause that is what your line is - a service part!

Sure I recommend 11mm for competition use - to protect the idiots from themselves as much as I can!

I organise competitions, I set the sections, I watch entrants complete the sections with little or no regard for any part of thier vehicles, why should my line be any different.

They uprate half-shafts, CV's axles steering , tyres, infact most of these vehicles needs replaced after a couple of seasons.

I am just suggesting the same for the line!!!

Rant over, calm down Thomlinson, breath and count to 10.

Always ready to help with advice and guidance whenever asked.

Regards,

Andy.

I have been very well looked after by Anton at OEC for buying Dyneema- it is supplied to them by David at Goodwinch. I ran with my new 11mm yesterday and had no problems with the Milemarker- which is maxing out at nearly a 5 ton single line pull. It used to eat 10mm! I would have prefered to use 12 mm but cannot get a decent amount on my tiny drum- the 8274 will hold a sensible amount so I would go with that.

Shrek

Cheers Andy

All of the above is correct I agree, but I meticulously wash the winch ropes and yes I don't expect them to last forever

yesterday I ended up being to concerned with the rope snapping that it took away from the fun.

the plasma12 is the hardest wearing of the brands I have on the 90 so that will be my choice next I'm pretty sure.

I think Ciderman has 12mm on his IIRC, then I think I read somewhere he broke his yesterday to.

my rope snapped on a straight pull with the rope in the air not touching the ground but the 90 was well bogged after tying a knot in it

(I am aware of the dangers of such action)and drive assisting got the 90 up the bank. The rope lasted the rest of the day

and will after the knot being cut out washed cleaned/dried be used as a spare.

Thanks for your reply Andy The reason I was interested in this rope was the possibility of going for a smaller diameter with the same strenght thus allowing me to put more on the standard drum, and not having the modify the winch drum to take an acceptable amount of 11/12 mm cable.

I agree about the cables not lasting forever and I have used most ropes on the market including Plasma, dyneema etc, all are good when new but with time and usage they deteriorate and break. Usually we tend to replace the rope after they break once as I have found once they start breaking then its usually the end and I have no confidence in the rope.

K

So the question is,, Best rope ?? From whom ?? and how much, ie cost and length of 11mm for a pair of 8274's

We use and recommend 125ft of 11mm Plasma. This usually retails at £233+vat spliced with hook and thimble.

If you want two or more give me a call i will very happily do you a deal.

Kind regards

Jim

Ps: Please anyone who is breaking ropes regularly, look at your bumpers and fairleads, then at your winching techique.

There is a reason for breaking ropes and usually it is something simple like a sharp edge in your bumper, angle of the dangle, or damage to the rope itself, always pays to check just to be certain.

"Ps: Please anyone who is breaking ropes regularly, look at your bumpers and fairleads, then at your winching techique.

There is a reason for breaking ropes and usually it is something simple like a sharp edge in your bumper, angle of the dangle, or damage to the rope itself, always pays to check just to be certain."

Good on yer Jim, top grade advice and bl**dy common sense, shame so few people have it. By the way your SS was far better than the comedy due of Jase and Lard, best laugh we had all day...