Solid RRC front axle!!!

I know that Landrover Series 2 used to be 2x4 and have a solid Front axle with no diff.

But has anyone heard of or got a RRC solid front axle without diff pan?

I know I could cut the brackets off and weld it to a big bit of tube (Thats the next alternative!!) but I thought I would ask first.

Thanks

Never heard of that one - couldn't you just use an axle with no internals/diff?

Yes but its still too tall!!

The problem is the top diff "hump" hits the sump of the V12, so it needs to be gone!

I modified the one I have, but am not happy with it!

Picture236.jpg

Guest WALFY

Why didn't you use flat plate to fill the gap at the top. I'm sure someone on here would have some spare 10-15 mm plate for you.

I know that Landrover Series 2 used to be 2x4 and have a solid Front axle with no diff.

Series 2s did have a front diff- what they didn't have was a centre diff which was why they ran in 2x4 on the road. Most also had freewheeling hubs.

I had a S1 4x2 a while ago. It was a great motor to play with. The front axle was just a tube with the flanges and spring mounts welded on. Someone had replaced the engine and box with that out of an MGB complete with overdrive unit. The 1.8 with 98 bhp gave it a bit more poke over the standard.

Why not just cut the diff housing out completely and replace it with some tube. Any scrap metal yard will have something of about the right size.

Dont know whether this is practical or relevent, but would the font 'clip' from a sherpa van be any good?

I was given the impression that the front setup, admittedly its on leafs, was a non driven beam axle that i have heard is possible to fit on series trucks?

It was a suggestion, that came about when someone i know was talking about making a sherpa 4wd, apparently the 'axles' are swappable?

On the same logic, the sherpa front beam could be used to create a non driven axle as a solution to this problem?

Guest mortus

slightly off topic, but do you need special welding rods/wire for welding to axle cases?

rouge.. cant you trim some more off the top of the axle casing and gusset the bottom.

rouge.. cant you trim some more off the top of the axle casing and gusset the bottom.

And thats the problem...... its not a tube with a big circle for the diff as there is a "butress" coming from the diff along the longest part, which means I would have to cut it all off to make it flat.

Im onto plan B now.............move the engine further back!!

some full size J series Jeeps from the Sixties used (IIRC) a Rockwell front axle (2wd) that was merely a tube with kingpins on either end and the springover pads.

Used to own one, but it eventually ended up with a D44 in the front.