Defender 110's

Matt B

I'm searching around for a 110 tub for the hybrid. Most of the offerings on ebay seem to be excessively long with a massive overhang at the rear. I did a search on google and most of the images that returned were also great long things with vast overhangs.

What I want is this:

110back.jpg

not this (which I guess is a 130 not a 110 as it says:

2468_2.JPG

So is the first image a 110 and the second a 130?

The first pic is a hybrid 100 inch tub that Marc created for his project 4x4. It is a shortened tub off a 110. The second pic is undoubtedly a 110. The tub off a standard 130 crewcab is ribbed (oooer...) Dutch 130s had a smooth tub off a 110 behind the crewcab.

So that rascal Mark Evans chopped the back off his tub as well as the front without telling us :o I'm shocked! What sort of informative video is that with half the information missing?

I went back and watched that section of the dvd again and it appears that he had it delivered with the short overhang:

110back2.jpg

(not the best capture but it certainly seems to show a short overhang)

Thanks for the info.

if that's as far through the dvd youve got... you're in for some more shocks mate!

how about... 'all the wiring is on multiplugs, everything fits colour to colour and nothing fits the wrong way round' err... yeah that's right :huh:

and tbh he does mention cutting the back down for a better departure angle im pretty sure anyway.

Its a good fun DVD but when i used that and the haynes book of lies to inform my 90 rebuild, im sure it made it harder because i expected everything to be easier than it was.

yup rebuilding a landy like that is perfectly possible given discovery channels bottomless pockets, a fully equipped workshop with 2 resident mechanics, and suppliers who will actually deliver on time or face the threat of public shaming! If you have all that its easy peasy :lol:

mike

As i was mentioned earlier, i may aswell chip in, i was inspired by the 4x4 is born dvd, but in fairness, when mine was built we did it to make it correct for the actual install rather than being a slave to other builds.

Have a shufty at my build if you want, in the members vehicles section, 'Another Shires 100" Kingcab", was page 3 or 4 i think!

My rear tub is a 109 with the front of the tub 'unstitched' and the bulkhead removed and moved back for the kingcab!

When building it, 'we' placed the full tub on the chassis once the bulkhead was on etc, then aligned the centre of the rear wheelarch with the middle of the rear wheel so that it looked correct!

Then adjusted the front of the tub for the doors to fit!

You have to find all the spot welds for the bulkhead, and door slam panel, and drill them out so that it can be cut and then put back together.

Slightly nerve wracking chopping up the tub to make it fit.

As for the back, the rear of the tub is 'long' as a 110, it is bar an inch or soo, the correc length for the standard RRC overhang of the chassis.

To shorten it at the back to be correct its the same as the front.... "unstitch" the rear panel, shorten it put it back together, to try and make it look correct and fit whatever you intend!

Hope that makes some sense! It does this end typing it!! ;)

also seems the footage where he went to see the original 100inch military defenders/series 3s?? was edited out of the dvd. I thoroughly enjoyed the series on TV but was disappointed that this was omitted from the DVD as it put the whole build in context :(

also seems the footage where he went to see the original 100inch military defenders/series 3s?? was edited out of the dvd. I thoroughly enjoyed the series on TV but was disappointed that this was omitted from the DVD as it put the whole build in context :(

Also the 1" of weld thing, he promises to show his 1/2" lifting 1/2 ton but never does, he did when it was on telly. I bid on that bit of metal on e-bay but wasn't willing to pay more than a fiver for it... :P