Winches discussion

winchtime

Been watching LR4x4 forum for a while but never got around to writing. I only saw a few pictures of me but none with the new winches in action, perhaps we were too quick for the camera shutter speed?

The winches are great and if i can't break them that says alot, noone however noticed the new plasma wasn't standard! Its got a breaking strain of nearly 12tons! and plenty of it.

Before I get a barrage of questions we are considering selling them but need to see what prices we can get for the bits to make them competitive.

Been watching LR4x4 forum for a while but never got around to writing. I only saw a few pictures of me but none with the new winches in action, perhaps we were too quick for the camera shutter speed?

The winches are great and if i can't break them that says alot, noone however noticed the new plasma wasn't standard! Its got a breaking strain of nearly 12tons! and plenty of it.

Before I get a barrage of questions we are considering selling them but need to see what prices we can get for the bits to make them competitive.

Welcome to LR4x4,

So how many feet is there on a full drum ? is it 14mm plasma?. Superb job with the winch design and finish - it looks like its already on the market with the standard of finish ;) The power op of freespool and hi/lo is a nice touch.

Cheers

Steveb

All this talk about hydro winches.....

The top 5 at the weekend all had 8274's and the top 3 were gigglepin twin motors, ive yet to be convinced. ;)

However the new winch does look nice, but does it perform as well as it looks? I did notice the rope, ive seen that before on a 110 in france 2 weeks ago, who's the rope made by?

The top 5 at the weekend all had 8274's and the top 3 were gigglepin twin motors, ive yet to be convinced. ;)

However the new winch does look nice, but does it perform as well as it looks? I did notice the rope, ive seen that before on a 110 in france 2 weeks ago, who's the rope made by?

Don't get to carried away chris, hydro is hot on your heals,We are just 'running them in' for now,

Carl. ;);)

I have seen a rather special twin motored 8274 which wasn't gigglepin. The guy had welded two 8274's together, running one motor forward and the other backwards. And I have to say I seemed to pull just as powerful and as quick as your gigglepins. The only down side was it was rather big and heavy. However, if you carried out the same operation on two twin motored gigglepins........................hydro winches would definatly be in trouble. Although obviously there is alot more to it than picking up your grinder and mig welder!!

The fact that a hydraulic winch did not win the competition could be down to many reasons.

Drivers capability

Portals

site knowledge

There are many factors, i'm not trying to make excuses and i know most people like electic winches. I will take up the challenge and lets see where the hydros come at the next competition.

We had one problem which delayed us for about an hour and that was we managed to shear the three bolts that we clamped the rope to the drum with, you could argue they are too powerfull, i never had that problem when i gaffer taped it in place?

The length of rope we get on it lots and a bit more, the rope type is marlow a new special one. I doubt it has been seen in france as i have the first ropes off the machine, they arrived on friday before the event.

I have seen a rather special twin motored 8274 which wasn't gigglepin. The guy had welded two 8274's together, running one motor forward and the other backwards. And I have to say I seemed to pull just as powerful and as quick as your gigglepins. The only down side was it was rather big and heavy. However, if you carried out the same operation on two twin motored gigglepins........................hydro winches would definatly be in trouble. Although obviously there is alot more to it than picking up your grinder and mig welder!!

Not a lot of welding required just a modified drum

bluddy unwieldy I'd suggest

The fact that a hydraulic winch did not win the competition could be down to many reasons.

Drivers capability

Portals

site knowledge

There are many factors, i'm not trying to make excuses and i know most people like electic winches. I will take up the challenge and lets see where the hydros come at the next competition.

We had one problem which delayed us for about an hour and that was we managed to shear the three bolts that we clamped the rope to the drum with, you could argue they are too powerfull, i never had that problem when i gaffer taped it in place?

The length of rope we get on it lots and a bit more, the rope type is marlow a new special one. I doubt it has been seen in france as i have the first ropes off the machine, they arrived on friday before the event.

Good to see you on here mate, yes your right! you will be attacked from all side's on here :rolleyes: but having to wait whilst you winched pass me ( i was standing watching) out of the section, your winch did not know it had a r/r on the back of it :o

I'll stick with the 8274 for now, as when it cut's out :angry: (twice in deep water) at least i can still winch out :P . But you've got one hell of a winch there and other's will be wanting one, see you at the next round mate.

Drivers capability

Portals

site knowledge

Well put,you can't just bolt on a winch and hope to win,you could win a event just on pure luck,and obviously a truck, :hysterical:

Carl.

Old new's, been tried many time's with various success........

When you do a proper winch challenge (like the Tay), you can do a proper comparison ;) . When I have dragged you through a few sections, you may see things differently :lol: (assuming we get a place). On the other hand, Jims winches are something special........... :ph34r:

When you do a proper winch challenge (like the Tay), you can do a proper comparison ;) . When I have dragged you through a few sections, you may see things differently :lol: (assuming we get a place). On the other hand, Jims winches are something special........... :ph34r:

At the Baskerville's last year, did they not come 1st, 2nd & 3rd <_<

I guess if someone wants to put the gauntlet down we could just compare the winches.

Try winching something easy at speed to see whos quickest.

Try winching against eachother while attached to a tree each, see which one gives up?

see how winch trucks you can tow dead with brake on across a field.

Be a bit daft to do before a competition, but could be amusing after.

I guess if someone wants to put the gauntlet down we could just compare the winches.

Try winching something easy at speed to see whos quickest.

Try winching against eachother while attached to a tree each, see which one gives up?

see how winch trucks you can tow dead with brake on across a field.

Be a bit daft to do before a competition, but could be amusing after.

That's been tried on here before, getting together that is.................. now back O/T how did the V8 cope with all that deep water, and are you doing all the series this year? beat me by 3 sec's on the special <_< i had a slow start ;) i'll have you next time :P

That's been tried on here before, getting together that is.................. now back O/T how did the V8 cope with all that deep water, and are you doing all the series this year? beat me by 3 sec's on the special <_< i had a slow start ;) i'll have you next time :P

v8 didn't miss a beat, we had it quite happily running under water, done a bit of fiddling with the dizzy and stuff. I actually went the wrong way on the special stage through a gate so was a bit miffed with my time. I enjoy the specials but wished i had seen the winch special before i did that one.

v8 didn't miss a beat, we had it quite happily running under water, done a bit of fiddling with the dizzy and stuff. I actually went the wrong way on the special stage through a gate so was a bit miffed with my time. I enjoy the specials but wished i had seen the winch special before i did that one.

I bet you did :lol::lol::lol:

Quote Carl Hurst: "Hot on your heals"

Congratulations on your second place in class.

But if in your shoes i would be concerned, Chris (1st place) Nearly doubled your score :o

That is not being "Hot your heels" stuff. I also heard that you had to 'double line' your new winch at least once? Is that True?

Hi Peter (Winchtime),

Hope you are well?

Very nice looking unit you have there, i look forward to seeing it in action.

I know your gagging to tell us, so come then what makes it so much better than a standard type 'R'?

Could this be the first hydraulic winch to win a Major title ? :huh:

I love all this new winch innovation, it is much needed and perhaps a little late judgin by the way vehicles have evoled in the last season.

Love electric, love hydraulic, both have clear advantages over the other, but it is early days for these new hydraulic units and they need to prove themselves in more than one event.

I am sure that in a years time when they have been in action for all to see that we can make a judgement, but after one event ???????? No not really B)

I look forward to what will be an intresting battle of the winches this year and hope that all involed do not turn it in to a slagging match.

All these units are fantastic peices of BRITSH engineering that the world is watching with great intrest, so lets give them something worth watching.

I have to point out thought that there was only four twinmotor winches entered this round and at least 6 very well sorted hydraulic systems started.........That i found an intresting comparision

But please lets keep this honest and NO Bull as we can ALL learn from each other.

Team Gigglepin 2008

Chris Abel, Simon Wilkinson

Rangerover 200tdi trayback

Adrian Turner Richard Westerley

Def 90 TD5 trayback

Steve Gittins Mark Morgan

Def 90 200 trayback

Jim Marsden Adrian Turner

Def 100' TD5

Mike Smith Wayne Smith (Australia)

Range rover 4.6 supercharged

Rowan Canavan Wayne Smith (Australia)

Nissan GU 6.0 supercharged

These are are sponsered teams for the year and they will using and testing our kit before it reaches full production.

We hope to continue are domination of the Aussie scene again this year as well at home and in Africa, Malaysia and Europe.

We currently have nearly 200 Twinmotor winches in operation on some of the best cars worldwide without a single mechincal problem in over 12 months.

It's a big ask to do better than last year, but we have many new innovations about to hit the dirt that will again transform our winches and keep them on the podium.

Should be a good year :)

Good luck to all

Kind regards

Jim :)

quote;D90sv,Love electric, love hydraulic, both have clear advantages over the other, but it is early days for these new hydraulic units and they need to prove themselves in more than one event.

I am sure that in a years time when they have been in action for all to see that we can make a judgement, but after one event ???????? No not really

Jim,

It is still early days and we are are still learning,

Yes we did a double line pull but that was my decision to do it as we were proper stuck and it was beter to do this then break something,

'Hydro is hot on your heals' NOT ime hot on your heals,lighten up jim! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Can we get back to the 1st rd comp.....................go and start your own(again!) thread about winch's :rolleyes:

Did anyone see how the two class 1 trial's car's were getting on, and are they entered for all the round's? get them out of the swamp and they will be up with the top score's.

Jimbo, it's Weatherly :rolleyes: Pig will be impressed :P;)

Winch choice is horses for courses. Diesel vs Petrol, ARB's vs Detroits, soft springs vs hard springs..... Life would be very boring if everyone did the same things.

From everything I've seen I think electric winches have still got a fair bit of life left in them. I hope so, at least, otherwise my truck will be out of date before its even finished :ph34r:

Winch choice is horses for courses. Diesel vs Petrol, ARB's vs Detroits, soft springs vs hard springs..... Life would be very boring if everyone did the same things.

From everything I've seen I think electric winches have still got a fair bit of life left in them. I hope so, at least, otherwise my truck will be out of date before its even finished :ph34r:

I got a copy of the Croatia 2007 Trophy in the post yesterday and obviously that was the first thing i watched when i got home! :) Anyway there were quite a few trucks using mechanical winches and i have to say they were awesome on the long pulls! There was one orange truck on mog axles with tractor tyres that had one of these mechanical winches, i was surprised that he was nearly stalling his engine at one point (I’m guessing the winch was too highly geared) and he resorted to using the additional 8274 on the front.

Has anyone used a mechanical winch successfully on the uk challenge scene?