Wheel bearing ?

When i got hold of my front wheel (90 van) and shake it, then i have got some movement i one wheel.

If it was on a normal car on the rear axle with taper roller bearings then i'd be sure it was a wheel bearing needing nipped up a bit.

What does it mean on the front of a 1991 90 ?

Which way are you gripping the wheel?

Movement when holding the wheel in the 12 & 6 o'clock positions means the swivel pin needs adjustment whereas movement in the 9 & 3 o'clock positions means wheel-bearings. Both are easy to adjust or even replace if necessary but you need to establish which one it is first.

What position are you holding the wheel when you shake it? Get someone to apply the brakes and shake it - if it doesn't move, then the wheel bearing has play in it. If it still moves - especially if you are gripping the wheel at the top and bottom, then the swivel pin bearings are worn. On the drivers side, check also the steering link rod, and on the passenger side - link rod, drag link, and drop arm TRE's.

Les.

Although a 90 is not a normal car by any means, it does have adjustable taper roller bearings front and rear. Unless it is a TD5, in which case you throw away the funny nut they have fitted and replace by two normal LR nuts and a lock washer. On LR can come up with non-adjustable taper roller bearings, I ask you what is next?

It could be either the wheel bearing, or the king pin(s).

Ohhhhh, I'm going through this right now on the front of a 83 110. For me I thought it was the bearings, which it was. But once I got all that fixed and went to add oil it all poured out of the ball seal and the shaking remained. Now I get to replace the swivel pin assembly. How I wish there was a local parts supplier that didn't charge 2 to 3 times as much as Paddock. It's sad when the savings on parts justifies 50 to 100 GBP shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

Got distracted by my 3rd son being born. 2 weeks late, but finally ere.

Thanx for the replys.

Movement is 12 + 6 so swivel pin then ....

How do you adjust it ?

My rear axle half shaft splines feel worn so was going to strip it .. (or put it on the to do list)

Should i be thinking about a full front axle strip down as well. How involved is it ?

Ta

Got distracted by my 3rd son being born. 2 weeks late, but finally ere.

Thanx for the replys.

Movement is 12 + 6 so swivel pin then ....

How do you adjust it ?

My rear axle half shaft splines feel worn so was going to strip it .. (or put it on the to do list)

Should i be thinking about a full front axle strip down as well. How involved is it ?

Ta

Congrats on the new addition. :)

If you are sure it's not the wheel bearing, then it'll be the top or bottom swivel pins. The bottom is a taper bearing. The top is either a bearing or a railko bush. Mine's the same age as yours and has a railko bush. This is not adjustable so you'll have to replace it.

It's not a difficult job.

See the how to in the tech archive here

Congrats on the new addition. :)

If you are sure it's not the wheel bearing, then it'll be the top or bottom swivel pins. The bottom is a taper bearing. The top is either a bearing or a railko bush. Mine's the same age as yours and has a railko bush. This is not adjustable so you'll have to replace it.

It's not a difficult job.

See the how to in the tech archive here

Thanks for that ... Not just a 2 minute job then. I'll probably do the full strip down though rather than doing bit at a time.