Core plug rusted through.

roguevogue

My 95 Tdi Discovery lost it's water last week, I naturally assumed the head gasket had gone. :(

Upon further examination I discovered that the water was running out the back of the engine as quick as I could put it in. I asked around and the general concensus seemed to be the core plug in the back of the head. :(

Having removed the head the awful truth was exposed, it was the core plug in the block, hard up against the bulkhead! :angry:

I avoided the temptation to slash my wrists and started to try and find a way to fix it without removing the engine.

I removed the engine mounts from the chassis and block, removed the viscous fan unit and lowered the whole engine-gearbox unit onto the steering box, gaining about 2 inches more clearance from the bulkhead, a total of about 3 inches. After removing the sound deadening mat, with the aid of a mirror, I could see the offending plug.

I was all for bending a lever and trying to bend and bodge the core plug out but Paul (Wightman) suggested that he could weld a bolt onto the plug and pull it out in one. So, with the view in the mirror and a welding rod bent at 90 degrees he did, indeed, weld an M10 bolt onto the plug sufficient to put a plate on it and wind it out with a spanner!

Having removed the old plug I fitted a new one (74p including VAT! (Thanks SimonR)) with the aid of a Carver clamp between the plug and the bore of number 3 cylinder, easy. ;)

So, basically, thankyou to Paul for his, as always, invaluable help and of course the use of his Transit while my car is broken.

I remember a similar thing happening to a friend's Series Land Rover. We cut a round hole in the bulkhead and got at it that way. The hole was then covered over with a steel disc and some self tappers for future access. Can't remember what engine it was though, BMC diesel perhaps.

It can be frustrating when a small part that costs so little can lead to some major work without some ingenious way around it ,

Nice one ,

Night trains post reminded me of a simular job I did on a transit , Gearstick out , heater box out , hole cutter through the bulkhead , to do a core plug , Lot better than taking the head off .

Had a core plug fail up behind the manifold on SHMBOs XJ6.

Cleaned the area with a wire brush in flexi drive and coated the whole area with half an inch of body filler. It was still there 5 years later when the car went to the breakers.

Steve

Had a core plug fail up behind the manifold on SHMBOs XJ6.

Cleaned the area with a wire brush in flexi drive and coated the whole area with half an inch of body filler. It was still there 5 years later when the car went to the breakers.

Steve

That's a good one.

Ome of our mechanics went to a 550 FG. Core plug gone. He cut a piece off a tree branch and hammered the piece of branch into the hole.....

mike

In yellow with SUNBLEST please Ralph.

A truly horrable engine. If you used Esi Start on them they knocked the points off the top of the pistons, then started to smoke.

Broken fuel pips were nearly a daily occurance. Welding fuel filter brackets at a service taught me to arc weld.

That was my last real job. 1984 I was made redundant from there. Was it really that long ago :lol:

mike

A friend of mine put an FG engine in a Series IIa Landrover! Called it the Funky Gibbon ( or F***ing G*t).

I had the core plug on the rear of a Perkins 4236 in my Range Rover fail. Cut a hole in the bulkhead and fitted a slightly smaller core plug inside the original one. It was the cup type rather than the disc type.