Pulling from side to side

Does anyone know what would cause my landrover to pull to the right ever so slightly while accelerating and then start to go to the left as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator (no use of brakes)?

It was doing it badly when the swivel bearing was collapsed and it was obvious why, but now its repaired its still doing it a little bit and there is no play in the swivel..

There is however, alot of play in the drive train.

Have you checked the axle location? Worn bushes might allow front or rear axles to 'steer' a little.

I was thinking this /\ - in particular worn/loose bushes on one side. I followed a Disco a couple of years ago which was being driven with several degrees of lock applied due to the back axle 'steering' to the right. Goodness knows what it was like to drive, but it was far enough out for even the SWMBO to notice/comment...

TwoSheds

It's not that easy to detect slightly worn bushes. Look for light orange rust stains under the bushes - they might also squeak a little as they move. Most bushes have an outer sleeve, then the rubber, then an inner tube where the bolt passes through. Usually the inner tube becomes detached from the rubber - causing the bush to 'float' sideways.

This is typical of bush wear.

post-2-1206182365_thumb.jpg

Les.

Agree too, had same problems but to a worse level, where the rubber in the radius arms bushes was totally gone and the inner metal tube was touching the outer one... steering the thing was frightening to say the least! driving alongside other cars without touching in our narrow roads was close to impossible, not to mention the metal to metal noise on every little pothole you find!

Changed those to polybushes and it was immediately much more drivable...more than it is at the moment :unsure:

Worth checking the steering box drop arm. If this is loose will cause steering to wander quite dramaticly. My arm was loose with the locking tab locked over & still had a few millimetres of slop.Obviously not tightened properly when tab locked over. Was ok once I tightened the securing nut up. Similar kind of symtoms to what your experiencing

Adrian

The drop arm is fine (I just serviced the steering box a few weeks ago) but a couple of days ago I noticed the drop arm ball joint has some play in it. For years there has been a slight clicking noise when I start and stop but I could never find it. Now I think its the ball joint but if it is, its been like that for years and I;ve never had this problem with steering. I think its very likley that the radius arm bushes are worn so I will change them at the same time as I order a new ball joint. Hopefully with both of these replaced everything should be hunky dory :)

Well, about 30 miles later and suddenly I'm getting an awful judder when setting off in 1st or reverse (worse in reverse) I looked ander neath and low and behold the bushes on the chassis aned of the trailing arms have about 3mm of play in them.. I looked just 2 days ago and they were absoloutly perfect and still looking new (they are only about 8 months old).

The front radius arm bushes look pretty worn too but no play in them. I'm just going to order all the bushes and get it over and done with. Damn pain in the ass. It seems in the last couple of months every single minor seal/bush/bearing is failing on me costing me a fortune in postage (15 pounds a time) for ordering new parts from the UK.