Clutch aligmment

kiall

tried one of those draper ones, couldn't get on with it.

now use my dad's old Sykes multi tool, bar with threaded end for the crank pilot to screw onto, then a selection of sliding bushes to fit the centre of the plate, works perfectly every time (and fits other breeds too)

it's a similar one to this draper kit

http://www.drapertools-online.com/b2c/b2ci...?pp_skmno=39223

You could always ignore the clutch centre alignment and opt for the outer edge instead. Most clutch covers have at least three sections where you can see the edge of the clutch plate where it is clamped by the cover. The plate is always the same size or slightly smaller than the cover, and as long as this variation is the same in all three, then the plate is centred. The tips of your fingers are very sensitive and even the smallest difference will be easily noticeable. Do the clutch cover bolts up finger tight, put an extension bar through the centre and into the spigot bearing, and using the bar as a lever - move the plate around until you can feel that all three are the same. I use a centring tool on Land Rovers, but Fords/Pugs/Renault, etc I align the clutch with the fingertip method and it has always worked.

Les.

tried one of those draper ones, couldn't get on with it.

now use my dad's old Sykes multi tool, bar with threaded end for the crank pilot to screw onto, then a selection of sliding bushes to fit the centre of the plate, works perfectly every time (and fits other breeds too)

it's a similar one to this draper kit

http://www.drapertools-online.com/b2c/b2ci...?pp_skmno=39223

Strange. I've got the Sykes one as well but much prefer the Draper. Guess its just what you're comfortable with.

I align the clutch with the fingertip method and it has always worked.

Les.

I certainly wouldn't argue your advise here Les.... In fact it is informative, but for the novice i would recommend a centering tool, especially on a dark and dreary night, when you need that engine to fit "first time"

:blink:

I grinded the drive shaft off an old gear box (very sacrimental) but definately worth it.

I use it all the time now saves sooooo much time.

Nothing comes close to using the actual splined shaft off a gear box to suit.