discovery heater/fan

leighhawkins83

Have a G reg Discovery V8 (with air/con).

And the heater has stopped working. on the 2 normal fan settings the fans do not work at all.

But as soon as you switch the air con on it works! (That in not very helpful in this wether!)

Have checked all the fuses but not sure waht to try next!

Please Help!!

I think early disco air con and fan was a completely seperate unit from the std heater fan unlike later disco and the air con fan is on the passenger side behind where the glovebox would be and the std fan is buried in the dash.

So maybe you just have a fuse gone on the std fan?

Lynall

Have a G reg Discovery V8 (with air/con).

And the heater has stopped working. on the 2 normal fan settings the fans do not work at all.

But as soon as you switch the air con on it works! (That in not very helpful in this wether!)

Have checked all the fuses but not sure waht to try next!

Please Help!!

I have the same fault, first started off sounding like something had got trapped between the blades and the housing, probably the bearings have gone, I dunno, but the dash has to be taken out to investigate further..............

Any advice welcome...........

ive done that job twice on 2 disco's i have had.....the first time didnt put me off :blink: ... it is a dash out job .....not as bad as you would think to be honest....start early and you should have it back together the same day :ph34r:

i would check the fuses etc .......but definatly sounds like the motor to me

here s a pic

p1010046_small_325.jpg

p1010041_small_173.jpg

ive done that job twice on 2 disco's i have had.....the first time didnt put me off :blink: ... it is a dash out job .....not as bad as you would think to be honest....start early and you should have it back together the same day :ph34r:

i would check the fuses etc .......but definatly sounds like the motor to me

The whole dash out just to replace the motor........OMG !

Thanks for the good news Den ! :(

Cheers

Took me 4.5 hours to change the dash on my old one (1996 model) so it is not a bad job - quite interesting actually!

Also gives the opportunity to inspect for poorly routed/protected wiring and rectify it before it causes problems. I found a few places on mine that needed attention.

Took me 4.5 hours to change the dash on my old one (1996 model) so it is not a bad job - quite interesting actually!

Also gives the opportunity to inspect for poorly routed/protected wiring and rectify it before it causes problems. I found a few places on mine that needed attention.

I m using a little 12v electric heater for when there is frost on the windscreen, other than that its just something else to add on the list,

I cant really complain though, after 25,000miles of ownership in 9 months my Disco is doing me proud. Mainly due to replacing worn out parts and alot of help from Rejo, the last being the timimg belt...THANKS MATEY

Thanks to Den and Bogmonster for the encouragement.

Cheers,

Neil

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

lol all done now had a full box donated .. i bought the fan , never got round to fitting it , its brand new with the wiring loom and made by bosch , i also have 2x new heater matrix and 2x controll switch setts , if anyone is in need just let me know

• 5 months later...

mine does the same too, only when on the other fan settings (not aircon), smoke comes out the dash, presumably from the std fan motor.

any quick fix?

was thinking of taking the dash apart to re-route the aircon fan through the std fan so i at least had some hot air! aircon doesn't work anyway, and i only use it for off roading!

mine does the same too, only when on the other fan settings (not aircon), smoke comes out the dash, presumably from the std fan motor.

any quick fix?

was thinking of taking the dash apart to re-route the aircon fan through the std fan so i at least had some hot air! aircon doesn't work anyway, and i only use it for off roading!