Stuck, Please Help.

nickbrown45

My friend has managed to slip into a ditch, the only thing that is stopping him going in completely is the tree that the front wing is resting against. Does anyone have any ideas how he can about getting it out?

Apologies if there is not enough details in photos, i am very short in time today, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose if we know where he was any one of us can get him out BUT unless I knew him I would be concerned about any litigation for any additional damage that might occur.

It reminds me of the first time I went out in a Land Rover. I got stuck in a ditch, on my own and with no equipment, and had to walk 3 miles to find a friendly farm worker. He gave me a lift back in his van and got me out with a 500kg ratchet winch and a tow rope around a nearby tree.

My guess is that the two nearside wheels are off the ground and it is sitting on its axles.

I think, given the limited information, I would put a wide strop through the open door windows and over the roof with some padding to protect the roof. I would then gently hand winch the strop from a suitable tree behind the vehicle on the other side of the lane to just take some of the weight off the nearside axles before towing out backwards adjusting the pull on the winch as required.

Sry for lack of info, we are getting two hand winches tomorrow and plan to use two ratchet hand winches to drag it out attached to trees on the other side of the lane.

I have a defender and tow rope to help him, he cant drive it out because if he moves the front from resting against the tree he will go further into the ditch and probably on its side. I think that the photos dont quite explain the correct depth of the ditch.

does this sound faesible, its in Hertfordshire,

If it were me I'd use the Defender from behind for towing very slowly.

Then I'd use the two hand winches in the manner I described above to spread the load over as much of the roof as possible to reduce any risk of damage. All I'd want to do with the winches is to reduce the load on the near side wheels NOT to lift them. If I try to lift them I can risk distorting the roof.

If I found there was to much load on the roof to risk winching it there then I'd set winches as low as possible and attach to the chassis just in front of the front wheel and just in front of the rear wheel to stop it slipping down the ditch. I'd anchor the winches level, ie directly across or slightly ahead, with the vehicle so that the load doesn't slacken as I tow out. I'd adjust the winches as I tow and tow slowly to reduce any jerk or snatch load on the winches.

Good luck with whatever you attempt but make your own decision as to what is safe and ignore what I say I would do as I'm not there.

I'm about 15 minutes away - no winch or gear (Or idea how to recover that stuck Nissan) - but i've got a 90 and a rope if you think it would any help.

:)

Also have a mate willing to come out from Stevenage with another 90 and winch if you need some muscle.

I'm about 15 minutes away - no winch or gear (Or idea how to recover that stuck Nissan) - but i've got a 90 and a rope if you think it would any help.

:)

Also have a mate willing to come out from Stevenage with another 90 and winch if you need some muscle.

..and I'm in Datchworth (good to find someone local to me Yakko :) ) if I can be of help tomorrow. I've some straps etc. What lane was is it on?

cheers

Gavin

..and I'm in Datchworth (good to find someone local to me Yakko :) ) if I can be of help tomorrow. I've some straps etc. What lane was is it on?

Hi! I often drive through Datchworth on my way into Welwyn - you're literally 5 mins away! :)

Also around all day tomorrow if you need a hand getting that Nissan out.

My friend has managed to slip into a ditch, the only thing that is stopping him going in completely is the tree that the front wing is resting against. Does anyone have any ideas how he can about getting it out?

Apologies if there is not enough details in photos, i am very short in time today, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thats not that precarious have a look at Betsy 4 weeks ago, when i opened the back door to get the ropes etc the wheels started to leave the floor :o needless to say I shut the thing rather quickly ;)

Glad all ended well for ya mate - keep on laning ;)

post-5096-1206738950_thumb.jpg

post-5096-1206739007_thumb.jpg