LPG and insurance

I have a 2.25 90 that i use everyday to commute to work, i am also in the process of gathering the parts together and making them ready to convert to v8 later this year.

However, i need to be running on lpg to afford the v8, and so i am thinking i may just purchase the kit now, install on my 2.25 and using the money saved i can push the v8 ahead that much quicker :) I will obviously need a couple of bits later when the v8 goes in.

I am currently insured with Equity Red Star through Adrian Flux, i havent spoken to them yet so was just wondering what your insurers have said about lpg conversions? Does it put the premium up much? Do they need any paperwork to certify that it is up to standard?

I will likely be getting the kit from Tinley Tech and fitting it myself... :blink:

Thanks

I have a 2.25 90 that i use everyday to commute to work, i am also in the process of gathering the parts together and making them ready to convert to v8 later this year.

However, i need to be running on lpg to afford the v8, and so i am thinking i may just purchase the kit now, install on my 2.25 and using the money saved i can push the v8 ahead that much quicker :) I will obviously need a couple of bits later when the v8 goes in.

I am currently insured with Equity Red Star through Adrian Flux, i havent spoken to them yet so was just wondering what your insurers have said about lpg conversions? Does it put the premium up much? Do they need any paperwork to certify that it is up to standard?

I will likely be getting the kit from Tinley Tech and fitting it myself... :blink:

Thanks

Hi I have my V8 Disco insured through Adrian Flux, they were fine with LPG - Lift - Roof Rack - Oversize Tryes - Steering guard - Roof Lights etc, Much better than my previous insurer Lancaster who would accept the LPG but not in combination with the other mods.

firemannotsam

When i had the V8, that was on LPG, i was the same insurance wheer not interested but did need to see a cert and they also mentioned that i would need to have it serviced / checked every 12 months so that in the event of anything happening i could prove LPG system was safe

just a quick one on the check/service. I spoke to the corgi guy about it and he said all he will do is spray soapy water over each join in the pipes and if it bubbles then send me away with no certificate. He wasnt even interested in how well the tank was attached or how the electrics are or anything... Seems a bit pointless. We would have smelled gas if it was leaking, then again, he was meaning that this test is done with CO2 before putting LPG in it for the first time.

I didnt find any problem with any comany ginv a quote on LPG but they all wanted to see the certificate from a Corgi approved fitter (I fitted it myself so I had to go get it checked and signed off for about 20 quid)

UK insurers generally want a bit more than a Corgi inspection. I had my self fit system checked over by an LPGA approved business and a approval certificate issued for very cheap. I have to say I wouldn't have wanted him to install the system for me having seen the quality of his work but he had the right qualifications to write the ticket!

I too insure with the NFU who were no trouble at all. They don't seem to mind winches, bullbars etc as long as you tell them what you have. As far as they're concerned it's a Landrover, and that's a working vehicle and therefore must need whatever you chose to bolt on to it. Refreshingly liberal minded of them. Me like a lot.

Cheers

Michael