Freaky electric wing mirrors on my Classic

Dr W

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what to do to cure my freaky wing mirrors.

I've got a 1991 Classic and sometimes when I stop (usually after a long run in a service station or garage) the wing mirror motors on both sides start up and tip the mirrors right back (so all I can see is sky).

The switch itself is not really working (worked a bit on one side but only to tilt down) so I replaced the switch but no improvement and they still start working by themselves.

Has anyone any ideas what could be causing this or how I could fix it as it's quite annoying.

Thanks

Dr W

It could just be a simple short -take the triangular panel off on the inside of the door to expose some very cramped looking electrics!

Also check where the cables go through the door pillar for breakages and shorts....

BTW, does yours have the memory seats? It could be something going on with the ECU etc for that....

Thanks I'll have a look this weekend.

yes it does have electric memory seats, the seats appear to work but haven't tried the memory yet.

Is the ECU easy to get at and hopefully not too expensive? Is there anyway to test if this is the cause of the problem before I have to splash out (after testing wires etc)?

Do you have the Rave manual? There's a detailed test and self-test procedure in there, with all the component locations etc, VERY well worth having for a Rangie.....

You need CD3: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4804

The link is about half way down :)

Oh, and get 'Virtual CloneDrive to mount the ISO, double click to autoplay.

HTH,

Bowie.

Quick fix:

Disconnect wiring and adjust manually through open window :P

Mine have a mind of their own so disconnected them - no more annyance :P

Yes I was considering this option as it's mostly me who'll be driving it.

Quick question are the mirrors linked to the memory seats? I.e if I set seat and mirror position for me and then set it for the Mrs would the mirrors move to her position as well?

Quick question are the mirrors linked to the memory seats? I.e if I set seat and mirror position for me and then set it for the Mrs would the mirrors move to her position as well?

Quick answer <_<

Yes. :P

If the mirrors move to a programmed position as part of the memory system then shorts in the doors or pillars are very unlikely if they both move out of position together. To me this has to be the control module.

Steve

You get similar behaviour if you have the wrong mirror switch (those for memory and non-memory look the same and both fit, but they're wired differently), but only when you operate the switch. Something to check, but I don't think this will be your problem. I don't have part numbers, I'm afraid.

That's very interesting Geoff, I did replace the switch with one from Ebay and it only work for one mirror and for moving the mirror down, it would never make it go up but this is the direction it goes when it's moving by itself.

Perhaps I should see it I can get a new switch from Land Rover to make sure it's the right one (that's if they still make them)

That's very interesting Geoff, I did replace the switch with one from Ebay and it only work for one mirror and for moving the mirror down, it would never make it go up but this is the direction it goes when it's moving by itself.

Perhaps I should see it I can get a new switch from Land Rover to make sure it's the right one (that's if they still make them)

You've got a non-memory switch there - you should be able to get the correct switch from one of the breakers on eBay, just be specific about what you need. One I've used several times who's been good and would be worth contacting is docky57 who trades as Classic LSE - no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

• 5 weeks later...

Just to thank everyone for their help on this.

It turned out to be the wrong switch and once I got the right one (from Docky57) and installed it the mirrors started working fine.

A big thank you to Geoff for spotting this.

Cheers

Drw

Make sure the circuitboard for the seats/ mirrors is clean. A friend of mine had this

problem and when we looked at the circuit board it was all fluffy and covered in

sticky stuff. However his symptoms were when he tried to adjust the seats the mirrors would move.